Compression or solder joint on gas line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,(and gals!)
Re routing my gas line to my boiler as it was laid in a very unsafe position(an inch from the floor in my garage).
the garage wasnt really being used before so it wasnt such a pending issue.
The pipe that comes into the garage is 1 inch gunbarrell(Iron) and its reduced immediately to half inch copper.

So im going to run it up the wall first and then along so its less likely to get damaged...out of harms way!!
Looking @ the joints on the existing pipework most are soldered but 2 are compression joints.
Id like it to be neat/consistent so im wondering if there is any reason NOT to use either joining method on a copper gas line.

Cheers,
Marty.

Sponsored Links
compression joints need to be gas fittings not bog standard b and q stuff.(if gas pipe)

If you need to ask such basic questions do you really think you should be doing the job yourself ??

thought that myself, hence only suggesting gas fittings not available at b&Q

Sponsored Links
compression joints need to be gas fittings not bog standard b and q stuff.
Really? Since when were standard compression fittings, as sold in B&Q for example, unsuitable for gas?

Compression fittings are fine provided the joint will remain easily accessible. Anything hidden away under floors or behind panels should be soldered.

i see more mytholigy from trainers hey.

i would presume the difference being gas fitting are tested to confirm to specific standards on gas, where as standard compressions may not be tested at manufactorer specifically on gas.

ooops forgot to add, b&q employ retired old hands who do not recomedn or sell use of standardised compression fitting for use on gas b&q disclaim compression fittings are water only.

maybe next time your buying you should ask.

Cheers Guys thanks,
Agreed it is a basic question...but you need to get the basics right!...I can solder but i think for Gas a quality compression joint would be more robust and if it in advertently got a knock would be less likely to leak than a soldered joint(IMO)...thats why i ask the question.
Marty.

soldered joint is better in my opinion, compression joints are liable to loosening hence regulation that they must be accessible. this doesnt mean they will loosen just that they can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back