Don't buy anything from power devil!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a PD pressure washer just over a year ago. Used it twice and now it has packed up.

PD say I should contact LxDirect who I bought it from. LxDirect refuse to take it back.

I'm sure it's covered by the sale of goods act and I am so blardy fed up about it!

PD customer service btw is almost non-existent! They told me it was a faulty unit but said it has to get back to them via the retailer.

They also said that they are made so cheaply that is not worth repairing them so they just replace them!

Nice to know they charge so much for something made cheaply isn't it?

Avoid them like the plague! :evil:

Sponsored Links
You contract is with the company that sold it to you, not the compnany that made it, but becuase its over six months ago that you purchased it, it is your reponsibility to prove that the fault was caused by a defect that was in place at time of purchase (as opposed to wear and tear / mistreatment, etc) as opposed to them proving thats not the case.

Chances are that if you start mentioning terms such as "sale of goods act", "small claims court", "not fit for purpose" "not lasting a resonable time" etc, etc then they'll probably back down ;)

AFAICT

The retailer has the responsibilty to replace or refund. Your contract was with them when you purchased the goods. You have a 12m warranty, so can go back to the retailer within this period if things go wrong. If you can argue the goods not fit for purpose, you could ask for a refund, rather than replacement.

See here:http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/guides_to/law_goods.shtml

Cheers Adam,

That's what I thought. I am going to send them a very sternly worded letter about it! Tbh I am more than a bit peeved as the woman i spoke to on Sunday went to speak to a supervisor about it before she was allowed to send out the packaging for me to return it!

Tonight however, I have gotten the stroppy shift :rolleyes: :(

Sponsored Links
Brightness said:
Cheers Adam,

That's what I thought. I am going to send them a very sternly worded letter about it! Tbh I am more than a bit peeved as the woman i spoke to on Sunday went to speak to a supervisor about it before she was allowed to send out the packaging for me to return it!

Tonight however, I have gotten the stroppy shift :rolleyes: :(

Good luck, let us know how you get on, I'm sure you will be ok if you stick to your guns.
I think it is usually a mistake to buy very cheap tools and equipment unless it is for very occassional use. I know some people say it's ok to buy cheap stuff because when it breaks you just take it back but I would rather buy decent stuff and avoid the hassle.

Brightness, if you're going to word a stern letter to them, do a google search for "jasper griegson" and find one of the many pages of his advice. I've written many letters of complaint in his style, and they usually do the trick!

securespark said:
AFAICT

The retailer has the responsibilty to replace or refund. Your contract was with them when you purchased the goods. You have a 12m warranty, so can go back to the retailer within this period if things go wrong. If you can argue the goods not fit for purpose, you could ask for a refund, rather than replacement.

See here:http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/guides_to/law_goods.shtml

Thanks securespark. Sorry, I've only just seen your post. I'll go and have a look at that now :D

hermes said:
Good luck, let us know how you get on, I'm sure you will be ok if you stick to your guns.
I think it is usually a mistake to buy very cheap tools and equipment unless it is for very occassional use. I know some people say it's ok to buy cheap stuff because when it breaks you just take it back but I would rather buy decent stuff and avoid the hassle.

Hermes, it wasn't cheap to buy, it cost me £75 and I only want it for washing the patio a couple of times a year! I wish I'd bought one for £20 from the supermarket now :cry:

ninebob said:
Brightness, if you're going to word a stern letter to them, do a google search for "jasper griegson" and find one of the many pages of his advice. I've written many letters of complaint in his style, and they usually do the trick!

Cheers ninebob, will have a look later :D

Sale of Goods is superseeded by the Bought From China act :LOL: :LOL: Look in Hansard...........Caveat Emptor to you all ;)

If you buy any of those market stool tools your asking for trouble..power devil, powermax, worx..they are all called the same type of thing and they they all perform the same way....****!

Avoid them and save for something decent

Zampa's right. Its asking for trouble to buy cheap power tools. We bought a cordless drill, and within 6 months in the shed, the chuck has rusted up and wouldn't open. Some kind burglar stole it and we got a new one :LOL:

For a guide on how much to pay for a pressure washer, look at Karchers, they are the leaders, after all. Avoid anything made by power devil. You can SEE the cheapness. Wouldn't have paid £75 for it, TBH. And leaving it over the winter without using it - BIG mistake! The water will probably have rusted parts inside and the compressor's probably seized up. Pay more and you get quality. Cant go wrong with a Karcher.

It was stored in a heated garage during the winter and I thought it was a good one when I bought it - I could have got a karcher for less money. Wish I had done so now!

Brightness said:
I bought a PD pressure washer just over a year ago.
You've left it too late i'm afraid warranty is out of date along with your consumer rights :cry:

kendor said:
Brightness said:
You've left it too late i'm afraid warranty is out of date along with your consumer rights :cry:

Actually, I phoned Trading Standards today and they said that I should approach the Manufacturers again and ask them to confirm to me in writing how long the product should last and how many hours of use i should reasonably expect to get out of it. Then get back to LxDirect.

You still have rights for up to six years as a consumer!!!!

BUT I switched the darned thing on earlier and it's working again :rolleyes:

Brightness said:
kendor said:
Brightness said:

Actually, I phoned Trading Standards today and they said that I should approach the Manufacturers again and ask them to confirm to me in writing how long the product should last and how many hours of use i should reasonably expect to get out of it. Then get back to LxDirect.

You still have rights for up to six years as a consumer!!!!

BUT I switched the darned thing on earlier and it's working again :rolleyes:
dodgy pressure switch?

Brightness
or you had a blonde moment an didnt turn the power switch on at the socket ..lol :)

Sponsored Links
Back