dont need switched live in 3 core and earth cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am replacing a broken low voltage shower fan with timer. The existing setup has a 3 core and earth cable running from the transformer to the fan unit which has the timer circuitry. I have bought a replacement fan and transformer thinking that it would be a like for like replacement. However the replacement has the timer circuitry located with the transformer and not the fan. So the transformer input has 3 core cable going in but only 2 wires as output.

My question is can I re use the existing 3 core and earth cable connecting the new transformer to the new fan ? So I just use the live and neutral wires in the cable and leave the switched live unconnected at both ends (and probably taped). I would replace the 3 core with 2 core but it is going to be difficult to do this.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's fine to reuse the 3 core. Just terminate the unused wires in a piece of strip connector. No need to tape them.

I'm sure I read years ago (probably 16th edition regs) that any unused cores should be connected (at least at one end) to a CPC (earth) and sleeved as such at both ends. I remember at the time thinking it made sense. If it's there, make use of it.

There is no CPC in an SELV circuit, and introducing an LV potential into the area is a bad idea.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back