Door covered with 6mm cork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to make a pantry door. Wife wants it covered with 6mm cork to stick kiddies' pictures up etc.
I was thinking of using 12mm MDF and then glue the cork on the top but have realised I can't drill for a cup hinge.
What would be a suitable hinge for this? Or is there another way? Door will be approx 1700 x 700.

Attachments

• IMG_9691.jpeg
    IMG_9691.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
6mm MDF, 100x100mm, glued to the door where the hinges go. 6mm cork fills in the rest.
Fit cup hinge to the MDF area in the usual way.

I need to make a pantry door. Wife wants it covered with 6mm cork to stick kiddies' pictures up etc.
I was thinking of using 12mm MDF and then glue the cork on the top but have realised I can't drill for a cup hinge.
What would be a suitable hinge for this? Or is there another way? Door will be approx 1700 x 700.
I believe concealed hinges go 12mm deep, so you could in theory just drill all the way through, then stick your cork to the outside covering the hole.

dont forget short 12mm screws though

i would have thought lightweight fibre board as 6mm into cork would just keep falling out ???
but purely a guess why not try 6mm cork onto a hard surface and see what happens:unsure:

Sponsored Links
Is this a Cupboard type pantry?
If it is then why not just stick the cork to the existing door.
If you are making a door for a Cupboard then really the thinnest MDF is 15mm for stability. Needs to be MR-MDF.
If it's a room type pantry then a normal cheap flat door is best. Just cover the face with the cork.

Is this a Cupboard type pantry?
If it is then why not just stick the cork to the existing door.
If you are making a door for a Cupboard then really the thinnest MDF is 15mm for stability. Needs to be MR-MDF.
If it's a room type pantry then a normal cheap flat door is best. Just cover the face with the cork.
Hi,
It’s a space under the stairs. I’ve put a frame around 20mm from the edge and was going to screw the hinges into that.

Attachments

• IMG_9691.jpeg
    IMG_9691.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 17
Get a free secondhand door and trim to size then stick cork to it.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back