Door Frame advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to fit a new FLB external door to replace an old one. The door itself is easy enough to get as they are much the same from the same suppliers. Question is, which door frame do i need?
https://www.expressdoorsdirect.co.uk/door-frames/external-door-frames

I'm just after a simple door frame and I'm advised a lining will be no good.
I was just looking at the cheapest option above (without fanlight), £72.90.

Just want make sure I'm not being a numpty. The thought of simply making one did cross my mind.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
How thick is your door? That "44mm" on the spec pages refers to the rebate depth and must match your door thickness. I'm used to seeing 50mm exterior doors where we work, but I do come across 44mm doors from time to time. You ideally want a hardwood, rebated exterior frame, which will likely be machined from something like 56 x 68mm section - that's 56mm width when viewed from outside x 68mm depth front to rear which incorporates a 47 x 12mm rebate (measuring from a frame in front of me now)

As to making you own, it normally requires a spindle moulder or possibly an overhand planer with decent rebating depth to produce a one piece related moulding. Planted doorsteps are more likely to leak over time

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back