Door frame fixing difficulty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With my new door frame came six 100mm x 10mm fixing screws and plastic wall plugs.

I have the plugs in place but I am having difficulty in tightening the screws up fully (hard to turn)

Is this usual or is there a lubricant I can use that won't rot the plastic over time?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
10mm diameter seems a bit excessive :eek: Most fitters use a direct fixing, something like a Rapier star turn. For PVC door frames I use 7.5 x 112mm drilled at 6.5mm. they are much better than plug & screw or wall anchors as you can vary the relationship between the frame and the wall slightly, and having a T30 head means easy driving-in. Theyre solid once in. I think toolstation do small amounts, like 25 or so for £3 or £4. Give them a try if you have no joy with the plug and screw method.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.

The fixings in question were supplied loose with the door frame with no fitting instructions (not unreasonable) - I even rang the frame supplier to ask for advice and they were unable to help.

Yes, I drilled the holes about 10 mils longer than the screw.

With regard to the hole diameter, the plastic plugs just required a light tap to enter the hole so I believe that was right, but interestingly and only yesterday, I spotted a similar pack of these fixings in a local DIY shop.

On the back of the packet it said that the screws should be HAMMERED IN with a final tightening with a screwdriver if required!

The 100mil screws I was supplied with had a POSIDRIVE TYPE HEAD so how was I to know?
Maybe that was why I stripped the head of the screw trying to tighten it up - it was impossible to screw the last 25 mils into the plug and spinach wouldn't have helped except maybe to lubricate the screw. :)

In the end I cut 25mils off the end of the screw and got a result - but how misleading? :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back