Door suitability and type

S

SaladFingers

I'm looking to buy/have fitted a door on the side (not main door) of my garage but would like information on what's best to go for in terms of security, even suggestions.

uPVC?

Composite?

Aluminium?

Wood?

Which is the best and why? What do I need to look out for with regards to security?

Sponsored Links
For a side door to a garage you'll just need a solid door, no need to weaken it with glass so i'd fit a hardwood frame and a solid door blank and a 5 lever BS mortice lock.

And if security really is an issue then i'd have the door opening outwards so it can't be kicked in, i'd glue/screw/bolt a galv steel sheet over the door and i'd cover the frame around the lock keep with a strip of steel, also fit 4 hinge bolts

For about the same cost a locksmiths or local metal works could make up a steel door and frame.

I'm not so sure about wood, with the swelling, paint maintenance etc.

Sponsored Links
I'm looking to buy/have fitted a door on the side (not main door) of my garage but would like information on what's best to go for in terms of security, even suggestions.

uPVC?

Composite?

Aluminium?

Wood?

Which is the best and why? What do I need to look out for with regards to security?

Well you did ask :rolleyes:

In order of preference regarding security and why........IMO

Timber.....................see above

Composite........Strong door slab(if not glazed) if you choose a timber core type as opposed to foam, can get some good locking mechs now or even with 5 lever mortice, timber or pvc frames available

Pvc................Needs to be a good quality and fully reinforced and a BS approved locking mechanism, impact absorbant to a degree but weak points will be the welds and the glass or pvc infill panels

Aluminium.............Strong frame but box section ali prone to crushing and bending upon impact, glass or infill panels can be smashed or kicked in as per pvc

Alright, I want hardwood.

Things to look for, ask for, tips and stuff?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back