Door won;t close - keeps bouncing back

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The front door won't shut probably, it keeps bouncing back which means you have to slam it. Does anybody know what this could be? Would it be worth replacing the Yale lock?

I know nothing about how doors/locks work but have fitted a few in the past.

I should add that the door is wooden, has a single yale lock and then a 5 level mortess which I fitted.

Sponsored Links
could be several things
swollen a said

crud stopping the door closing properly

lock loose carch plate loose on the frame

lock locked when you are trying to slam shut

try shutting gently and see how it goes does the door "spring"before fuly shut does the bolt push in with your finger

Sponsored Links
It's most likely hinge bound - hitting the stop on the closing jamb before its actually shut.

Have a look from the outside as it is pulled shut

as woody has said - hinge bound.

the door could be bowed down the length therefore catching the rebate at the proudest point.

....or, the door jamb may be out of square. if this is the case and the door edge has not been planed to suit then the leading edge of the door will catch the rebate before the door has travelled to the fully closed position.

If you have a look at the locks latch bolt it is obviously shaped to slide into the body of the lock as it slides against the door jamb. Some cheaper locks have a small 1 or 2mm of the bolt that is square to the striking plate in the door jamb. It may be this that is striking the door jamb or striking plate causing the door to bounce off.

This is caused by the swelling of the door or slight movement of the hinge away from the frame. Try tightening them. If not just re hang the door.

I would avoid any planing of the door frame until all else fails. You can't undo that!

Lack of a leading edge on the hinge side combined with a little swelling should also not be ruled out.
If you are taking the door off, Take the oppertunity to stain/paint the bottom of the door

Joe

Keep an eye of the date of the posts. We all made the same mistake once. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back