Dormer Window Condensation Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Hopefully title says it all.
Has anyone had issues with condensation in a dormer window and found a good cure for it.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Seriously please!
The walls of the dormer window are literally running wet in the morning
Tried leaving window and door open without improvement
Using a de-humidifier helps.

Not sure how the wall of the window are constructed but does anyone know what needs to be done to insulate them?

Sponsored Links
Take plasterboard off, insulate between (and across timber studs if you can), fit plasterboard.

Celotex or similar insulation is better than others.

Thanks Woody.
So if I understand correctly
I can do this from inside, hopefully without disturbing outside render?

Construction is similar to wooden framed bay window?

Cheers

Yes. If you look on this site or on google for " dormer cheeks ", you will get an idea.

Then search for insulation in timber frame, (or garage conversion) that will tell you about vapour barriers and taping insulation joints.

Like this then another full layer over the top:

IMG_5286.JPG

Thanks
I can see insulation cut to shape to fit recesses, do you mean a further layer of insulation over the top of the frames and then plasterboard?
Not sure if I can do that due to possibly covering window frames

Only over the top of the timberframe, I'm not exactly sure how to finish at the window frame. That's a job for next year.

Only over the top of the timberframe, I'm not exactly sure how to finish at the window frame. That's a job for next year.
We fixed a 25mm x 50mm batten/lath on edge around the window frames in order to deal with the 50mm thickness of Celotex (fitted across the studs). This allows for fixing of beads, reveal plasterboard and window boards etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back