Dot and dab ever so slightly skewiff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just finished putting up some boards and noticed that two of them are not completely flush where they meet - the ends are touching but the face of one of them (toward the bottom of the board only) is slightly raised compared to the other one (we are talking 2/3 mm here)

Is it possible to file/sand the edge of the board to smooth out the joint even though I know it wont smooth out the whole wall - or will taping / prepping / skimming cover the worst of it

Ta

Sponsored Links
2-3mm is a lot to be out; you can’t just sand it down, it will ruin the edge of the board. I assume you intended getting it skimmed as it look awful left as it is, it will need leveling out with an initial skim of Bonding plaster before a finish skim. You really need to take more care when boarding out, a board skim finish is only 2-3mm thick so you have just doubled your plastering cost!

2-3mm is a lot to be out; you can’t just sand it down, it will ruin the edge of the board. I assume you intended getting it skimmed as it look awful left as it is, it will need leveling out with an initial skim of Bonding plaster before a finish skim. You really need to take more care when boarding out, a board skim finish is only 2-3mm thick so you have just doubled your plastering cost!

Cheers for the, erm, good news

Its only the last foot and a half that is not flush -- and it gets progressively worse towards the bottom of the board (which will be covered by skirting anyway) until its about 3 mm out - I've obviously taken my eye off that part when fixing the boards up!!

will just that area or the whole wall need to be levelled out

Thanks for the replay and sorry for my ignorance on the subject !!

As Richards says, you will probably need bonding on it.

First check it with a straight edge to see if you can lose it.

If you can, first offer your skirting up to it to see if you are happy with what will be your skirting line - ie will you live with the bow in the wall that your skirting shows?

You can do this with an extra pair of hands,or by wedging it there from the floor

Your ceiling line and skirting line are what will catch the eye more than any gradual bump in the middle of the wall .

Before skimming make sure you check again.

Sponsored Links
It will probably only need filling out locally & blended out into the surrounding board to get rid of the lip so not really as bad as I first said. As Micilin; check it out with straight edge or by offering the skirting up to see how far it needs to go but the whole wall will need to be finish skimmed.

As Richards says, you will probably need bonding on it.

First check it with a straight edge to see if you can lose it.

If you can, first offer your skirting up to it to see if you are happy with what will be your skirting line - ie will you live with the bow in the wall that your skirting shows?

You can do this with an extra pair of hands,or by wedging it there from the floor

Your ceiling line and skirting line are what will catch the eye more than any gradual bump in the middle of the wall .

Before skimming make sure you check again.

Cheers

Will get the skirting up against it tonight and see how it looks

Got the plumber in at the moment who also does plastering / skimming and he says its nowt to worry about, seen loads worse and fixed it OK

Thanks again all for the help - sure I'll be back soon with another issue

Why will he have to use bonding? Surely he can flush out the lower board with multi using the proud one as a guide prior to taping and skimming the lot? 2-3 mm is nothing on a dot and dabbed wall, I've seen much worse discrepancies than that, even on perfectly level block walls. Waste of money buying a bag of bonding for that tiny bit.

Why will he have to use bonding? Surely he can flush out the lower board with multi using the proud one as a guide prior to taping and skimming the lot? 2-3 mm is nothing on a dot and dabbed wall, I've seen much worse discrepancies than that, even on perfectly level block walls. Waste of money buying a bag of bonding for that tiny bit.

The straight edge will tell him whether to bond it or not, it's not just the small lip 2-3mm , but the line of the wall - and a lip where two boards meet usually means they are not in line.

You could rule and float the whole wall with finish if you wanted, and could certainly do a patch if 3-5 mm was all you were talking about, but the bonding will have more body for anything more, and getting the skriting/ceiling line acceptable

Why will he have to use bonding? Surely he can flush out the lower board with multi using the proud one as a guide prior to taping and skimming the lot? 2-3 mm is nothing on a dot and dabbed wall, I've seen much worse discrepancies than that, even on perfectly level block walls.

Waste of money buying a bag of bonding for that tiny bit.

A 2/3mm hollow over a board width is not the same a 3mm lip where the boards meet, but if they are 2/3mm out of level, they haven’t been put up particularly well & there is certainly no excuse for it on perfectly level blocks. Without seeing it & putting a straight edge on it, you can’t really say for sure how far out on the wall it’s going to have to go to loose the lip. If you’re really a hard up for around 6 quid then I suppose you could use multi but I doubt its how I’d do it; but then I’ve usually got a bag of Bonding in the truck anyway. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back