Dot & dab + plasterboard or timber + aquapanel for showe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here, but I've used this forum a lot recently and read a lot into this already.

I am currently in the process of renovating my first house and upon starting the bathroom I am undecided about the best approach when preparing the walls for the shower.

Basically the bathroom has been gutted - floor, walls, ceiling, the lot. I mean no plaster, no nothing.

For the shower area, I can't decide between dot & dab moisture proof plasterboard then tanking it or batten the wall and aquapanel it. Battening it and using aquapanel will give me a nice space to hide the pipes for the shower and make it easier to fix the riser rail etc but the only problem with this is the door lining. One of the walls where the shower will be is next to the door entrance, and the extra thickness on the wall will mean the door lining will need replacing and I can't find a door lining that would then be wide enough as it's a double brick wall + plaster/skim on one side.

Going down the dot & dab plasterboard route may still mean the door lining needs changing, but it should be easier to get one wide enough. On the downside, it means i'll have to hack away at the bricks to hide the pipes plus more difficult to fix things such as riser rail/shower cubicle etc and I'll have to tank it afterwards.

Any recommendations/thoughts would be appreciated!

Cheers
Matt

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Can i interject and ask....if having a corner shower unit or shower over bath. How much of the room would you aquapanel and how much would you use normal plasterboard or moistureboard for in say a 1.8m x 1.7m en suite? If using a bathroom paint would it make a difference?

Anything that requires painting needs to be MR plasterboard as Aquapanel is rough as a badgers backside and is only suitable for tiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back