Dot & Dab - What do I do around the windows ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm quite new to the forums but am in need of help.

I have decided to go with dot & dabbing (d&d) my bathroom this weekend and have read many useful, articles here on d&d.

However I am not sure what to do about the window ?

What do I use to join the exposed brickwork of the window up to the plasterboard on the walls and how do I handle the exterior corners ? Do I use more d&d plasterboard around the window and then use a metal mesh for the exterior corner ?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig

Sponsored Links
I have decided to go with dot & dabbing (d&d) my bathroom this weekend and have read many useful, articles here on d&d.
Make sure you use moisture resistant PB in the bathroom & any surface in a wet area (next to the bath or in a shower cubicle) should really be tanked or use Aquapanel.

I am not sure what to do about the window ?
What do I use to join the exposed brickwork of the window up to the plasterboard on the walls and how do I handle the exterior corners ? Do I use more d&d plasterboard around the window and then use a metal mesh for the exterior corner ?
If it’s bare brickwork reveals, I tend to use 2 layers of plasterboard, one on top of the other but it depends how much space you have; I’m assuming the cavity is not exposed ? Just butt the edges of the PB at the external corners & fix thin angle plaster beading all around. I also use a stop bead against the window frame as it makes it easier to plaster up to the frame & gives a really nice straight edge.

Heya Richard,

Thanks for the help.

I was going to use normal plasterboard for the whole room and tank around the shower area (2 walls) with a BAL WP1 Tanking kit. I've been told that with the waterproof adhesive and tiles/grout it should be waterproof enough, is this not the case ?

Craig

Sponsored Links
The thing top remember is that most waterproof adhesive & grout is not impervious to water; water is still absorbed by it, it just doesn’t disintegrate in the process. So any water soaking through or getting in behind little cracks & flaws in the grout can reach the backer board & if that’s not water proof, it will decay & eventually disintegrate behind the tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back