Double Dimmer Switch Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'd like a bit of advice with a double dimmer I'd like to re-wire. It controls two seperate lights (ceiling and walls). I wan't to remove the wall lights completely but need to understand the dimmer first. Below is a diagram as best as I can draw it.

image_zpsthmkxpc9.jpeg

When I isolate L1 from the wall light dimmer (on right of picture) at the wall lights no wires carry any current. Also no other lights are affected.

I was not expecting to see 4 core lighting wire and am now unsure how to disconnect the wall lights from the switch?

Thanks in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
The cable exiting your drawing to the right has been used to provide the two controlled lives plus neutral to both lots of lights. Do you see just regular 2-core & earth at the wall lights? If so, then check at the ceiling light; you may find that the cable from the dimmers runs there, and a 2-core & earth continues down to the wall lights. If not, then there may be a junction elsewhere.

Yep, there are two wall lights. At the first there is a regular 2 core & earth that is then junctioned in the light to another 2-core earth which loops to supply the second light.

There does appear to be an old spot where an old central light used to be so i presume the junction maybe up there. There's certainly nothing in the cavity behind the switch.

Is there anything I can do without breaking though the ceiling and plaster? My main aim is to disconnect the wall lights safely so they can be permanently removed.

Sponsored Links
Nope it's in the mansard extension on the top floor, so no space above to negotiate, just an old plastered over hole.

I thought there was a ceiling light from the first post? What wires are in there?

No sorry that's my mistake. There was previously a central ceiling light and wall lights. A some point someone has replaced the central light with 4 spots and closed the central hole up. At present the left dimmer controls the 4 spots and the right controls the two wall lights.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your help!

Well the cables could have been pulled back to one of the downlights, or they could be under that patched hole. They could also be somewhere else entirely!

If you can easily ease the downlights out of the ceiling to check the wiring going to them without causing damage, I would check there first. If damage to the ceiling is likely around the spots, I would cut the patch out instead as it will be easier to repair than around the downlights.

My money is on the patched hole.

So there are 4 spots in total. Three have their own branch (two core and earth) and the fourth is then piggy backed off the third spot. There's no sign of a junction anywhere. I presume therefore the 4 core must be junctioned somewhere in the ceiling (possibly where the old light was).

Is there anyway to avoid opening the ceiling? Can I simply disconnect the L1 from the dimmer that controls the wall lights?

You could fit something else where the wall lights are at the moment - A flush box with a blanking plate, for example. But that's probably not the result you want to achieve!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back