Double glazed door locks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone come across replacement locks for double glazed doors that work similar to the old Yale type. So that when you close the door it locks without having to use the key. and if you dont want it to lock you can put the snip on. It seems strange to me that in these times of increased crime a backward step takes place with these locks that need the key to lock them. In my opinion the old system was better, when you shut the door it meant that a key was required to gain entry unlike now were you only have to push the handle down.

Sponsored Links
The problem is that you have to push the handle upward to secure the locking pins into the slots.

You can't beat a wooden door :!: :D

you can buy replacement mechanisms for upvc doors that lock when you raise the handle upwards - so you don't need the key. They also do split spindle systems, which render the external handle useless without a key.

UPVC is itself a step backwards in security, not just the locking mechanisms/cylinders!.

A hardwood door and a Chubb 3R35 will do the trick.

Sponsored Links
I can see the problems with these doors locking systems, what with them being reliant on the handle having to be raised to engage the locking bolts. Im not impressed with the security of these doors either but a hardwood door is not an option at the moment. So tell me more about this you mentioned HandyHands

you can buy replacement mechanisms for upvc doors that lock when you raise the handle upwards - so you don't need the key. They also do split spindle systems, which render the external handle useless without a key.

Do you know anywhere on the net i could find these replacement lock parts.

Try the ranges from Ferco/GU (Fast Locking), Fullex, Yale, Winkhaus - most have locks with these functions. As for ordering, a number of online stores are available - try multipointlocks.co.uk or dgsupplyline.co.uk. Please bear in mind that when replacing your mechanism, the corresponding frame strikes will also need changing/adjusting to fit the new mechanism. When ordering, ensure you get the correct backset and handle centres, otherwise you'll also need new handles and will have to adjust the door cutout. If in doubt, get someone in that knows what they are doing.

Thanks, HandyHands. I will have a look at those links.

I was at a "study camp" in Osmington Bay, near Weymouth a few years ago, and the chalets there had a UPVC locking system as follows:

when the door was closed, the latch engaged. There was no lever handle outside, just a "pull" and keyhole like on the old yale locks.

IIRC, this meant the room could not be properly secured when everyone was out of the room, since no handle meant no locking. Inserting the key and turning would open the door from the outside.

From the inside they worked like normal UPVC door locks.

Strange system but if they can concoct this combination, im sure anything's possible with UPVC locking!! :LOL:

crafty1289 said:
Strange system but if they can concoct this combination, im sure anything's possible with UPVC locking!! :LOL:
I'm begining to wonder if the insurance company are accepting these type locks on these latest upvc doors?

masona said:
crafty1289 said:
I'm begining to wonder if the insurance company are accepting these type locks on these latest upvc doors?
well they aren't very good - the only thing securing the doors on the system i spoke of above was the single door latch. The only way the door can be properly secured (7-point locking etc) is from the inside :confused: which i suppose is all well and good on a constantly guarded chalet site, but on a house i dont think it would be acceptable. As i said, im sure they can concoct something to satisfy insurance companies.

crafty1289 said:
im sure they can concoct something to satisfy insurance companies.
Dunno, sadly I can get into the upvc doors within 2 mins :eek: and this is why I don't know why the insurance companies are accepting upvc doors on their policies :!:

A solid wooden door is the best way.

masona said:
A solid wooden door is the best way.

A solid wooden door with decent BS rated mortice locks - no point in having a wooden door and fitting a crappy yale lock or 3 lever sashlock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back