double socket- 2 cables or 1 ?

Sponsored Links
Steve, although this is a DIY forum, from the level of your questions I fear that you may be trying to tackle this without anywhere near the correct level of knowledge. At least take some time to read the DIYnot WIKI for information regarding ring final circuits.

With regard to this existing socket outlet, it is a little unusual to have separate terminals for the incoming and outgoing legs of the ring. If you can post up some pictures of the wiring behind the old socket then it may be helpful. I would assume at this stage that they are connected together internally inside the socket outlet, and with a new outlet, you'll end up with two cores going into each individual terminal.

I have a house with a 1975 extension and am installing a new radiator which will cover an existing double plug socket. So I will chase out a new socket and extend the existing cabling with a joint as the existing cabling has no slack to move it over. The thing is the socket has 2 separate 3 wire connections. ? And it has 2 X3 way wires feeding it. ? Now I have another 2 way socket that has only 1X 3 wire connection which i want to use. Why is this.? In my mind this is all about amps and not exceeding them with appliances and for 1 X 3 way wire it carries around 32 amps (I think) before tripping. Is this feeding of a socket with 2X 3 way wires over spec'ing it? So my question is can the extension be done with 1 X 3 way wire with the new socket.?
Thanks
Steve

Not the clearest description.

Usually sockets have one terminal for all lives
one terminal for all neutrals
one or two terminals for earths.

There were a few ranges of sockets that had colour coded terminals. Each terminal had two connections.

Totally irrelevent. Any socket will do.

You have two cables at this socket you wish to cover. Each cable has three wires.

It is best to use crimps as the old socket is to be inaccessible. Remember, if you have a wooden floor you could extend the cables under there.

You would be best to run two cables to the new socket. This is because it's not recommended to join three wires in one crimp. You can get three-way crimps, but you will struggle to get these.

Make sure the new cable is the same size as the existing cable.

You will need earth sleeving on all bare earth wires.

Use rubber grommet where cables enter metal back boxes.

Connect one new cable to one old cable.
Connect other new cable to other old cable.

If you leave one of the new earth wires extra long you can double over a section of the wire about mid-way (so it's continous), and connect to the earth terminal of the back box if it is metal. Don't cut it. Then crimp the end of the wire to the old earth wire.

Fit blanking plate.

Fit new socket.

If in any doubt do not do this work.

If you do use the crimping method, use a correct crimping tool.

I'm sure someone will send those photos of the correct tool, and the wrong tool.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back