Double switch wiring help

rrp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am replacing light switches in my house. Most have been straight forward but i am having a problem with one.

It is to work 2 lights in the downstairs toilet.

Attached are some pics - There are 2 main cables and in previous switch only the 4 reds were used along with a jumper. My thinking was that they 2 reds coming in from wire 1 go to com and L1 on LHS and then the 2 go ing out go from L1 and com on RHS. jumper between the coms. This doesn't work as the power is on to the light beyond this on the circuit.

Any help very much appreciated

Rob

Sponsored Links
Use a multi meter to work out which reds are live, they goto com with a bridge to the other com. The other 2 reds goto l1 or 2 on each side

If the two reds on the left were/are together, the live will be them.

Put the other two in L1 or the switch will operate 'upside down' unless it's upside down. :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks to both.

I have it working based on the 2 on LHS as COM and the other 2 on L1. Bridge between the 2 COMs

Moved onto the next one in the circuit which has the same scenario. Thought it would be easy.....

However, having wired as below. i.e. 2 reds from one side in COM and 2 in L1. Bridge the COMs it doesn't quite work.

One light stays on permanent and the other switch is fine.

Any ideas?

You have got the wrong two this time.
You need to swap one of the two and the other in the same switch.

They are all going to be live at sometime so not dangerous to connect together but you must be more careful.

You really should mark the wires before disconnecting.

• Thanks
Reactions: rrp

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back