Dowlights and ceiling Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

After many months I have finished the outside of my double dorma extension. I am now ready to install the celotex in the ceiling and dorma frame.

I am installing 100mm celotex between ceiling joists and 30mm below the joists. The ceiling height is very low ... too low to install ceiling light fittings without issuing hard hats to the occupants. I would assume that the Building Inspector would frown upon downlights on the grounds of fire safety and the fact that the integrity of the insulation would be damaged. Your thoughts /Advice would be welcome

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Downlighters in celotex will result in a melted mess.
Although LED types would not cause melting, as you correctly state, it would compromise the insulation.

Wall lights would be one solution.

I would assume that the Building Inspector would frown upon downlights on the grounds of fire safety and the fact that the integrity of the insulation would be damaged.
He certainly will.

I'm surprised though that he didn't frown on a ceiling so low that you can't have suspended lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back