down light/fire hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
If you put down lights in and they require fire hoods/fire protection but you cant put any thing above the light due to access do you just use fire rated downlights?

Sponsored Links
Firstly, are you sure that you actually need fire hoods?

What is above the lights?

Hi ban, not sure whats going on above but building inspector asked for it to be double boarded so its a fire ceiling are something! One more thing all i am doing is changing center lights to downlights and adding 3 sockets in to the same room, the gas and water is not bonded is it to me to do it are not cheers

any electrical work requires you to ensure that the main bonds are in place and correct.. says so in the regs.. somewhere... I think... I'll have a look in a minute.. ;)

131.8 Additions and alterations to an installation

No addition or alteration, temporary or permanent, shall be made to an existing installation, unless is has been ascertained that the rating and condition of any existing equipment, including that of the distributor, will be adequate for the altered circumstances. Furthermore, the earthing and bonding arrangements, if necessary for the protective measures applied for the safety of the addition or alteration, shall be adequate.

do you really need downlights? won't a nice spotlight bar work?

BAS hates downlights with a passion, so expect a comment to the same from him at some point..

aren't some fire hoods flexible? fold up and push through the hole?

Sponsored Links
ok, maybe not then.. don't know why I tought they would be pliable...
use fire rated downlighters..

Hi ban, not sure whats going on above
I meant is it another room? A loft? A flat roof? Why can't you get access above?

but building inspector asked for it to be double boarded so its a fire ceiling are something!
Is this a block of flats, or an HMO?

Are the lights in an integral garage?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back