Downdraft Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Putting together a kitchen and on the island we have a Faber Fabula downdraft extractor fan, one of these things that goes up and down when you are using the hob on the island.

Looking at the instructions, I thought I was buying something that did just that, rise up and down and used charcoal to collect smells/grease etc which needed to be cleaned whenever necessary.

Looking at the unit, there is a massive ducting part which connects to it, which you then have to duct inside the island and then cut a hole in the island wall to vent outside of the island.

I was really under the impression that this was not necessary, anyone else have one of these? I could really do without having to cut a 120mm hole in the side of the island

Sponsored Links
Unless it's a cleaning heavy recirculation only extractor - you are meant to go down through the floor or other adjoining hidden area.

Ensure you use rigid or semi rigid ducting of the correct size, avoiding joints when possible.

With most of these the vent outlet will be able to installed either directly down, left or right by rotating the box - so the best installs will be directly down, to a 45 in the floor, then another 45 to the run to the outside.

If it is recirculation only then you will need somewhere for the air to expell from the island easily.

Recirculating units do not comply with current regs which require external extract on new installations.

Hi
Putting together a kitchen and on the island we have a Faber Fabula downdraft extractor fan, one of these things that goes up and down when you are using the hob on the island.

Looking at the instructions, I thought I was buying something that did just that, rise up and down and used charcoal to collect smells/grease etc which needed to be cleaned whenever necessary.

Looking at the unit, there is a massive ducting part which connects to it, which you then have to duct inside the island and then cut a hole in the island wall to vent outside of the island.

I was really under the impression that this was not necessary, anyone else have one of these? I could really do without having to cut a 120mm hole in the side of the island

You use the word "extractor" to describe this device.

If it does not extract, it is just an expensive kitchen ornament.

Sponsored Links
I do have an extractor in the wall to comply.

What i need currently is a decent looking output vent I can place on the outside of the island, not too sure whether to go out the side or below it and then out through the plinth piece (150mm). The pipe is 120mm so this is possible, just need some sort of thing that would convert a round flexi duct into an oblong, is there such a thing?

Many thanks, i think i will make a hole in the bottom of the cab then out through the plinth at the bottom, hopefully will not be seen. Question though, the hole in the unit is 150 and i have a reducer taking it down to 120mm. What size pipe would i need to go on these? brain is saying 120mm and then use tape to get it onto the 100mm end?

I do have an extractor in the wall to comply.

What i need currently is a decent looking output vent I can place on the outside of the island, not too sure whether to go out the side or below it and then out through the plinth piece (150mm). The pipe is 120mm so this is possible, just need some sort of thing that would convert a round flexi duct into an oblong, is there such a thing?
That will dump damp air and grease on you floor, making it wet and greasy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back