Downlight nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, this I'm sure is simple but it's driving me nuts.

I removed two recessed down lights to change the transformers. That all went well etc, but, the actual recessed trim, the bit with e springs! No longer spring downwards to hold it against the ceiling, both are just floppy and won't hold it tight against the ceiling. I'm I doing something wrong or are they bust.

Sponsored Links
There are two types of retaining mechanisms

One is a spring that is a bit like a mouse trap (and will wack your fingers).
If its correct you have to push the arms up and tension the spring when you push it up into the hole.

The other type is a sort of two part think with a long and a short arm on each side. For this there is no spring, you simply orient the two arms so the longer one is pointing up into the hole in the ceiling, the shorter one will be about horizontal.
As you push the fitting into the hole, the shorter one will grip onto the sides of the hole and keep the nasty thing in place.

If you still not sure, post a photo of your light fitting so we can see.

here you go guys,

37000_36405_38682_65679712_thumb.jpg
[/url][/img]

Sponsored Links
ok, burt they still dont snap like my ones at home. The one i have are like mice traps and will take your fingers off.

These ones dont have any tension at all.

This is the second type that I told you about.

The other type is a sort of two part think with a long and a short arm on each side. For this there is no spring, you simply orient the two arms so the longer one is pointing up into the hole in the ceiling, the shorter one will be about horizontal.
As you push the fitting into the hole, the shorter one will grip onto the sides of the hole and keep the nasty thing in place.

This is how the clips should be .

Not sure how to help you more TBH

mmm, so when i push it in the hole, the shorter ones you see then bend the longer ones down so as to clamp onto the ceiling?

ok cool,will give that a bash tomorrow.

Whats the bracket thing you have attached to it? Do i need this?

cheers.

It's part of some of the (better) fittings. Don't worry if yours don't have it.
Let us know if it works out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back