Fireplace downlights connection to plug socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm hoping this is a simple yes / no answer. I'm putting in a fake chimney breast which will include an electric recessed fireplace, what I am looking to do is then have 2 led downlights (same style as you would find in a ceiling so main voltage) above the fireplace recessed in the upper section of the fake chimney as it'll be a stepped design!

My initial though was to extend the lounge wiring from the ceiling rose but having looking the ceiling joists run in the opposite direction so I'll have to rip down the ceiling to get the feed, so my other thought was can I simply connect the 2 downlights in parallel from a 3A plug simply plugged direct to the socket with a dimmer switch inline? The downlights are double insulated so have no earth!!

Seems too simply, am I wrong or missing something or is this how this kind of lighting is done?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You could but it would be messy. Better to use a fused connection unit (FCU) next to the socket to fuse down to 3 amp and run fixed wiring throughout, or you could combine the fuse and dimmer switch on one plate using a gridswitch system.

All fixed mains wiring must have an earth wire, even if the lamps themselves are double insulated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back