Double switched fused connection switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Just bought an electric fireplace which has a separate plug for the downlights. So the fireplace comes with 2 plugs.

I am hiding the cables in the plaster and I don't want to have any cables to be seen. I am installing a switched fused connection switch for the main heater, and I am looking for a 'Double' switched fused connection switch so that I can do the same for the downlight plug. I cannot find such plug anywhere. Has anyone seen one of these? If not, any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Best

Nish

Sponsored Links
I wonder what kind(s) of faults in the lighting part(s) of the thing would not be safely cleared if they were on the same fuse as the heating part?

grid switch may not look good, but two switched fused unit is an idea.

Good suggestion about putting them both in one switch. Is that safe?

Sponsored Links
Lighting is relatively low current and heating is much larger. Generally they have a low amp fuse (lighting) and a higher amp fuse (heating) because the wiring used differs.

Maybe the lights are separate so you could connect them up to come on with the room lights, or to be switched separately?

Surely the instructions that came with the fire will tell you what the supply needs are for both. What does it say?

Does it say "the internal wiring for the lighting in this fire is so desperately flaky that it will not be adequately protected from faults if it is put on the same fuse as the heating elements"?

Main issue with combining is that standard B22 lampholders are only rated at 10A. This is an academic consideration, mind you. In practice it would be OK provided the supply is fused at 13A max. Don't say I said that though... :whistle:
Although, I can see no reason why you could not fit a fuse at or behind the fire itself to spur-off the lighting from the heating cable. Then just one fused, switched spur (or plug) to connect the feed.

Yes, we agree.

People are talking about combining them and reasons why this may not be a good idea.

Fires frequently have red lights so it looks warm even when not heating.

How stupid of me to assume that this appliance had its own switches, and didn't need the user to put and pull plugs in and out (if they have unswitched sockets) in order to turn it on and off.

I'm obviously unfamiliar with items of that quality.

Thanks for your replies guys.

The light comes with the surround and that's whey there are 2 separate plugs. There are actually separate switches for them, so I can connect to one fused switch if I want. I guess to be safe I will have 2 separate fused switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back