Can I change a double socket to a DP Fused swch & single

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to fit a panel heater to the other side of the room and replace a double socket with a fused switch and a single plug... can this be done?

Been looking online for fused switch and plug but all I can see is a cooker one, can this be used? Been told the heater has to be into a fused switch
though.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am looking to fit a panel heater to the other side of the room and replace a double socket with a fused switch and a single plug... can this be done?
Not without digging out a bit more wall and replacing the box with a 'dual' one.
Then the wires may not be long enough.
Been looking online for fused switch and plug but all I can see is a cooker one, can this be used? Been told the heater has to be into a fused switch though.
No fuse in cooker switch. So, no'

Just plug in the panel heater.

Thanks for the reply, I thought I could just put plug on cable but Dimplex said No had to be fused switch

Thanks for the reply, I thought I could just put plug on cable but Dimplex said No had to be fused switch
What is the rating - Watts or Kilowatts?
Does it mount on the wall or stand on the floor?

Or what is model number?

Edit - Don't mean 'storage heater' do you?

Sponsored Links
Yes - you can fit a plug with 13A fuse and plug it in.
In common sense and engineering terms, yes - but the OP has told us that the MIs say 'no'. In other threads, you are insisting that MIs take precendence - so are you happy?

Kind Regards, John.

I'll be happy if it works, don't know the ins and out of electrical work.

Are you saying it shouldn't be done?

I'll be happy if it works, don't know the ins and out of electrical work. Are you saying it shouldn't be done?
I'd be perfectly happy to do it in my own home. The Wiring Regulations say that one should obey manufactuer's instructions. Some electricians would take that to mean that if, as you have said, those instructions say you should not use a plug, then you should not use a plug (even if they can think of no engineering reason not to). Let's see what others say.

Kind Regards, John.

Yes it's perfectly safe on a 13amp plug connection, saves the upheaval of installing a fused spur in this instance. 1500watts is approximately Seven amps, so the solution is safe and reasonable. Use 1.5.mm heat resistant flex on a 13amp fuse to power the heater.

I think in these circumstance the manufacturers instructions should take precedent. They state that a dp fused connection unit should be used - though they do not say what size fuse to use.
This heater has four core cable with normal line, neutral and earth plus a black pilot control wire. The black control wire is designed to carry a signal from slot in or wall mounted Dimplex programmers.
If, however a programmer is not being used, the pilot wire should be isolated.
Isolating the cable be achieved in both plug or backbox of course, but for me common sense says use an fcu.

Thanks, I won't be using the pilot timer, I have ordered the timer to fit into the heaters

Yes - you can fit a plug with 13A fuse and plug it in.
In common sense and engineering terms, yes - but the OP has told us that the MIs say 'no'. In other threads, you are insisting that MIs take precendence - so are you happy?
Fair cop.

These are the MIs

The heater is fitted with a length of flexible cable type H05VVF
size 4 x 1.0mm2 for connection to the fixed wiring of the
premises through a suitable connection box positioned
adjacent to the heater.
The supply circuit to the heater must incorporate a double
pole isolating switch having a contact separation of at least
3mm.

Could that be a socket?

http://www.dimplex.co.uk/assets/product_instructions/Girona_GFP_Issue0_F30a.pdf

A socket meets all those criteria, and it'll be running at about 7A so there's no risk of prolonged heavy loading tosting the plug or socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back