How to convert a double plug to fused switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was hoping for some advice as I can't seem to fathom this out. The problem is I'm turning a small back room into a utility room / small kitchen. All the sockets in the room a double 3 pin plug sockets and there are six in total 2no sockets on 3 of the walls and they are close together so it kinda looks like 4 sockets but I want to change some of these to fused switches and run a spur off so the appliances plug in under the work top rather than having leads coming up the back. Now at the risk of sounding dumb and as I want 2 spurs on one side of the room for dishwasher and freezer and 2 on the other side for washing machine and tumble dryer. On my recent visit to my local b and q I was hoping to find a double fused socket or a double socket that would just replace one of the double sockets or one that had one fused switch and a socket for a plug but all I could find were single fused switches. I still need to keep two of
the plug sockets above counter for plugging in toaster / kettle Any help would be great.

Kind regards

I have hopefully attached a photo

Sponsored Links
Right I think I get you. so I need to change the back box and put a single fused switch and a single plug socket or another fused switch on the same back box. So does this mean I need to get a new wire put in as I have just removed one of the socket faces and there is only one wire feeding the double socket. There must be an easier way. I have attached some photos

View media item 58317
Thanks

The socket you have removed appears to be a spur from the socket on the right.

To do what you want (add two fused connection units) you would need to extend the RING which is presumably behind the socket on the right.

Otherwise the second FCU would be a spur off a sur and that is not kosher.

See the WIKI on how to extend the ring, or come back and ask.

Sponsored Links
You can get a grid system that will fit on a double box.

A double sized plate can hold 4 modules.

A module can be a 13 amp fuse module; a 20 amp double pole switch; and a blank. For two appliances you would use two fuses and two switches. You don't necessarily need the fuses if using 2.5 mm2 cable and a 13 amp socket with fused plug below.

As said, you need to extend the ring first.

To match your existing fittings, MK sell the grid range, available from most electrical wholesalers.

There's a lot of red dust inside that box, which suggets the brick wall has been chased out for the box to fit. Fitting a larger box will therefore be a less-than-easy task.

Hey guys thanks for the prompt replies. So if the socket which I have removed is a spur of the double next to it could I not just use the other socket to change to fused switched and spur off that instead of the one I removed as either will do. Could you advise if this is kosha? As I don't want do out dodgy, from what I have read about doing this sort of task made it sound simply so assumed I could save some moolar and do it myself, maybe I should just get my sparky back that re wired my house five years ago and installed the sockets in question.

Though if the other socket is an option then I'd give that a go before picking up the phone to get him round

Again many thanks for your assistance I'd be lost without ths site and the experts that take the time to respond

The wall behind is brick and wall is dot and dabbed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back