Installing Electric fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a new electric fire installed. its been left with a long length of cable and standard 13amp plug. I am keen to hide this cable which is currently just pluggede into existing plug socket. someone has suggested installing a fused switch next to fireplace as a spur off the nearest plug socket and channelling cable into the wall. Is this the only way.?

Sponsored Links
Sound's a logical thing to do.
It will then become hardwired to the swicthed FCU, but will allow an easy form of isolation.
It's not the only method, as you could install a socket outlet closer to the appliance.

You may be able to site the FCU next to the fire, then run a cable, concealed in the wall, horizontally to a flex outlet behind/under the fire.
Connect flex to this.

Or run the flex in a concealed conduit directly to the FCU, making sure the flex can't be 'yanked' out of the wall.

Sponsored Links
I did one once with an FCU on the LHS of the breast and a 15A plug and socket behind the fire.

The customer had another spark round to install something and he told the customer it was dangerous as there was no fuse in the appliance plug....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back