Double switched fused connection switch

The plugs are both 13A. But the cable for the fire is thick and good quality. The cable for the light is fairly thin.

Sponsored Links
The light comes with the surround and that's whey there are 2 separate plugs.
I think we were all imagining a single appliance with separate plugs for lights and heating.

If you've got two things, it makes a lot more sense.

The plugs are both 13A. But the cable for the fire is thick and good quality. The cable for the light is fairly thin.
How thin?

Photos, measurements would be useful, as would any lettering/numbering on the smaller cable.

Basically if you want them both on one switch I can't think why you shouldn't.

The thin cable is 2x0.5 mm2.

Are you saying that because they are both 13A, we can put them on the same fused switched? Will that create any complications.
As I said, there is a switch on the appliance for both light and fire.

You can't use 0.5mm cable on a 13A fuse, it should be 3A.
The fire won't work with only 3A, so it has 13A.
Two separate connections with individual fuses is therefore required.

Sponsored Links
The fuse inside the plug are actually 13A for both heater and light.

Well, that is wrong. As said above
You can't use 0.5mm cable on a 13A fuse, it should be 3A
I guess that the fireplace is made and assembled by a jobbing carpenter/mason who does not have any knowledge of electrical requirements.

Your solution is to either have two FCUs (13A and 3A) or power the lights from the lighting circuit.

Will do that. Thanks.
It seems that all fused switch (is this FCU?) are 13A. Can I just change the fuse to 3A in it?

Like plugs, they come with a 13A fuse. You change the fuse to be correct for the cable, or as advised by the manufacturer.
So, yes, you need a 3A fuse in teh FCU for the lights and a 13A one for the fire.

Excellent, thanks very much.
Thanks to all who contributed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back