Downlight placement in bathroom

Sadly you have already fitted inappropriate units.

That's your opinion. I'm pleased with the result. It's a shame about having to install a LED adaptor capacitor, but that's more an issue with the touch switch than the bulbs themselves, as far as I can see.

Flickering is caused by:
- crap LED's
- non-dimmable LED's being dimmed
- A non-leading edge LED compatible dimmer
- Crap LED's without suppression. Where I have used smaller LED's, I've always gone for a known brand, usually Aurora

So you are saying that Megaman 6W LED Dimmable bulbs are crap? That's a surprise as I thought Megaman was a good brand? So, the flickering when dimming is all the fault of the LED's and nothing to do with the touch switch?

Shame you didn't post here before installation really :(

I originally posted on 6th July, prior to any installation. Shame you didn't respond earlier really :)

Sponsored Links
Someone should tell them that there is no positive and negative on AC circuits.

I think you're just the man to tell them ;)

Be interesting to get hold of one of these thing and dissect it.

At some point when I have time, I may just do that as currently I have a couple spare. Although I won't understand the internals, I could always post photos.

• As long as all the LED lights are connected in serial then installing multiple LED adapters on one location should work for all Lights as the current passes through them all in a single line. If the lights are connected in parallel then 1 on each light may be needed or at the point where they are joined together.
What do they mean connected in serial? There is no such term. If they mean series they are stupid, as each light would get a fraction of the voltage. If they are in parallel, which they would be, why would more than one be needed one has to ask?

The definition of serial and parallel in electrical installations is interesting and I have also been confused recently. I work in IT and what I consider to be serial and parallel is very different in the IT world.

For example, the downlights have been daisy chained together; cable from switch to first light, then from this to next light, then from this to next light.... finally to the last light fitting. So, all light fittings have two cables except the last. This is described as wiring in parallel and yet this scenario of "one after the other" would be described as serial in IT.

Parallel would be "multiple streams", so I guess physically, this would look like each light fitting having a separate cable originating from a single point (the switch).

Before you all jump down my throat, I understand the difference in terms of wiring, but I'm just pointing out that to those who aren't electricians the terms serial and parallel may "look" different. On the surface, it appears that each light fitting is connected in serial (one after the other). However, when you consider the wiring cores, they are all connected together, so they are wired in parallel.

Have a look at the following diagram which shows the difference between serial and parallel communication.

https://www.worldofitech.com/difference-between-parallel-and-serial-communication/

You see the "daisy chaining" of the serial communication? Looks very similar to the way in which you would wire the downlights in "parallel"!

Of course, you would expect a company selling switches etc. to get their working right, however, I wonder if they describe it this way for a reason as that is probably how the general public would understand serial. Just a thought.

You see the "daisy chaining" of the serial communication? Looks very similar to the way in which you would wire the downlights in "parallel"!
Does it? There is only one conductor, for a start.
I don't know about IT but the diagram looks exactly the same as ' in series'. it depends on where the connections are made which is not clear in the diagram.

Of course, you would expect a company selling switches etc. to get their working right, however, I wonder if they describe it this way for a reason as that is probably how the general public would understand serial. Just a thought.
It is up to the general public to learn what the terms mean. Just a thought.

Sponsored Links
I have just looked up 'serial' and 'parallel' communication and it would seem 'serial' is totally unrelated to the electrical 'in series'.
Perhaps why we use 'in series' and not 'serial'.
Television programmes can be a 'series' or a 'serial'; not the same.

A more acurate electrical comparison would be the electrons flowing in one conductor to one device, or 'parallel' conductors to one device.
More akin to our conductors in parallel which is not the same as lights wired in parallel.

The definition of serial and parallel in electrical installations is interesting and I have also been confused recently. I work in IT and what I consider to be serial and parallel is very different in the IT world.
Fair enough - but, as you say, they are different worlds, and one has to use terminology appropriate to the world one is dealing with. It is perhaps not ideal that 'different worlds' often use the same words to use different things, but that's unfortunately how it is. If you asked suppliers of electrical items, tools, waste pipes or artificial limbs for a 'socket', you would be offered four totally different types of item.

As I'm sure you understand, the fundamental difference we are talking about is that, in the electrical case, one can wire things 'in series' such that the total voltage across the string of items is shared between each of the items, such that each 'sees' far less than the total voltage, but I can think of no direct equivalent of that in IT.

However, I would have thought that, even in IT, meanings of 'series' and 'parallel' similar to the electrical meanings would often be used. In terms of, say, network switches, would you not say that, in the following diagram, switches A, B, C and D were 'in series', whereas B, E and F were 'in parallel'?

upload_2019-7-28_15-23-58.png

I wonder what you feel about 'parallel processors' in a computer. I suspect that you would probably still call them 'parallel' even if they were largely physically 'wired in a daisy chain' with things like data buses going 'from one to another, down a string, wouldn't you?

Have a look at the following diagram which shows the difference between serial and parallel communication. .... You see the "daisy chaining" of the serial communication? Looks very similar to the way in which you would wire the downlights in "parallel"!
I wouldn't have said that was very comparable.

I agree that 'serial' and 'parallel' are totally different concepts (from the electrical one) in terms of communication - although the latter are, I would have thought, largely a historical thing as far as IT is concerned. Originally, much of it was 'parallel' (e.g. Centronics printer ports), but that gave way to things like RS232 and eventually USB. However, those descriptors did not really refer to the method of wiring but, rather, to the way in which data was transmitted - either one bit at a time, 'serially' over time or by transmitted 7, 8 or whatever bits simultaneously ('in parallel'), through separate conductors. I suppose that's comparable with 4 cars wanting to travel down a road - they can either travel 'in parallel', each in their own lane of a 4-lane road, or 'in series', each behind one another on a single-lane road.

Serial communication is, I suspect, probably properly described as 'time-multiplexing', since groups of bits which eventually have to be separated and dealt with simultaneously (i.e. in parallel') are transmitted as a 'series' of discrete items transmitted separately over time. Put another way, the difference between serial and parallel communication relates to whether several pieces of information (bits of data) are transmitted simultaneous along different communication links or 'serially' (over time) along a single link.

However, in electrical-speak, that would not be regarded as 'in parallel' since the 7/8/whatever conductors necessarily go to different places, rather than being 'joined together' (as in 'electrical parallel'). Within a computer, the data buses do, at least to some extent, represent 'parallel communication' (in the 'Centronics' sense of simultaneous transmission of different pieces on information along physically separate paths).

Just a few thoughts!

Kind Regards, John

So you are saying that Megaman 6W LED Dimmable bulbs are crap? That's a surprise as I thought Megaman was a good brand? So, the flickering when dimming is all the fault of the LED's and nothing to do with the touch switch?

I said:
phatboy said:
Flickering is caused by:
- crap LED's
- non-dimmable LED's being dimmed
- A non-leading edge LED compatible dimmer
- Crap LED's without suppression. Where I have used smaller LED's, I've always gone for a known brand, usually Aurora

So I am unsure why you think I am suggesting it can only be the lamps, not the switch....?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back