Downlight suggestions

C

Chunkydoc

The OH has decided I'm allowed to decorate the loung.
I'd like to get some downlights installed, but it's been about 10 years since I did any major renovations. Back then I got some cheap crappy things from Screwfix.

I'm looking at LED lights but wonder if anyone has suggestions on what I should be looking at.

Do I go for LED or Halogen?
Mains or low voltage?
I'd like to Dim them if possible but this isn't a pre-requisite.

Sponsored Links
whathesaidsmiley.gif

If as part of the decorating you have the opportunity to repair the ceiling, seize it with both hands and put in some lights which are actually meant to light up rooms.

Light isn't an issue, we have a south facing loung with a nice big bay window.
If the Mrs had her way, we'd have a ruddy great chandelier, however I plan at some stage to put a project and screen in, so said chandelier would only get in the way.

Sponsored Links
Light isn't an issue, we have a south facing loung with a nice big bay window.
Do you get light in the room from it at night time?

If the Mrs had her way, we'd have a ruddy great chandelier, however I plan at some stage to put a project and screen in, so said chandelier would only get in the way.
There is an awful lot of middle ground between ruddy great chandeliers and little torches embedded in the ceiling.

Do you get light in the room from it at night time?

Why don't you?

There is an awful lot of middle ground between ruddy great chandeliers and little torches embedded in the ceiling.

I'm sure there is, but as the title suggests, I was looking for suggestions regarding downlights. Not what middle ground there is between ruddy great chandeliers and little torches embedded in the ceiling.
I assume you're not a fan of downlights, fair enough. Though if you have nothing constructive to contribute I would suggest not contributing at all.

Downlighters can be OK but great care is needed when choosing them

[a] choosing where to put them can be a compromise between where the light is needed and where the lamps can be fitted. Joist etc get in the way.

safety of the room above. In many homes the plaster board holds fire away from the joists long enough for people in the room above to realise there is a fire and escape before the floors collapse or floor covering strats to burn. Downlights can and have allowed fire to penetrate to the joists and/or floor boards above. It isn't always the heat from the lamp but that from a fire in the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back