Downlighter/spots distances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone tell me what distances downlighters should be fitted,( small 240v type) in a kitchen?

Sponsored Links
I assume you mean from the walls?

Alot of this is down to personal preference and is restricted by the ceiling joists.

You need to ensure you light work surfaces and over the sink as well as floor area.

What are the dimensions of your ceiling?

Thanks, the ceiling is somewhere between an L and an F shape and it's difficult to give dimensions.
I intend to follow the line of the units and worktops if you know what I mean with the lights just in front and so not directly above them and then fill the rest of the ceiling as required.

Can someone tell me what distances downlighters should be fitted,( small 240v type) in a kitchen?
They shouldnt be fitted full stop. They are entirely unsuitable for use as task lighting. Install a couple of fluorescent strips such as these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MLTFL58G.html

High frequency, flicker free, instant start, everything you want from a light fitting. And thats fairly cheap too for a nice looking fluorescent. Also in white. I'm going to order one for the kitchen in my new house.

Sponsored Links
To get a good coverage in a kitchen, I find that 600mm out from the from the walls provides a good working light onto the worktops.

Then just fill in the middle with lights spaced roughly between 1000 and 1200mm apart.

This gives a nice bright even spread of light in the room.

They shouldnt be fitted full stop. They are entirely unsuitable for use as task lighting. Install a couple of fluorescent strips such as these:

High frequency, flicker free, instant start, everything you want from a light fitting. And thats fairly cheap too for a nice looking fluorescent. Also in white. I'm going to order one for the kitchen in my new house.

That's entirely personal preference. To me, it looks like office lighting. I would far sooner have downlights in my own kitchen.

To me, it looks like office lighting.
Its about time they started selling half-nice fluorescent strips that aren't priced at over £100 each +vat though. Good on TLC. More please!

Indeed. Although many of the fittings are not to my taste, fluorescent battens still kick the pants off CFLs in almost every way with the exception of cost and aesthetics.

I've never understood why people will pay thousands of pounds for cupboards in their kitchen, and baulk at paying < 10% of that for lighting which looks good and works.

Got two of those in my kitchen - they're brilliant. If you can believe it, I generally tend to focus on what I'm actually in the kitchen for, rather than looking up at the light fitting and lamenting that similar styles of fitting tend to be installed in offices. :) If you're prepared to spend a few hundred quid per fitting, you can get much more trendy fluorescent fittings than those TLC ones, if that's what you require. Given what your electricity bill will be if you go for dozens of spotlights to do the same job, not to mention the cost of fitting them all, the above would probably actually be the economic solution.

Liam

fluorescent strips
I thought even standard fluorescent tubes were much more efficient than CFL down-lighters. I like the idea of those high frequency units. How to sell them to she who must be obeyed? ;)

Tell her she can spend the electricity savings on a new pair of shoes.

The above was said for comic effect, and was in no way meant as a serious observation on the importance of shoes to women, or as a stereotyping caricature. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. The value of your relationships can go down as well as up. Your home may be at risk if you build camp fires in the living room. Offer void where prohibited by common sense. Don't eat yellow snow.

Tell her she can spend the electricity savings on a new pair of shoes.
Nah, she was born without the 'shoe gene' :) - money better spent in restaurants or football.

She does have a problem with fluorescent flicker (maybe that's why she spends the minimum of time in shoe shops) - so there could be a way in there.

love the footnote BTW - especially the value of relationships

You don't get any 'fluorescent flicker' at all with high frequency fittings. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back