Downlighters - fire rated or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend wants 20W, 12V downlighters in his new bathroom....the same as he's seen in mine, which he likes. He already has them in 2 bedrooms.

The plumber will be fitting them as part of the bathroom installation.

I say I will get them with my account from the electrical wholesalers. The plumber has said they will need to be fire-rated. However, I say that normal ones will be ok...its a 60's bungalow with loft above.

AFAIK, the fireproof thing applies to commercial buildings, new builds, and rented accomodation where the floor above is a living space. My mate's loft is none of those. Or am I wrong and the plumber's right?

Sponsored Links
Maybe you should tell the plumber to stick to plumbing and get an electrician to sort out the electrical side of things.

Is your plumber registered with a competent persons scheme to sign electrical work off? If not he's breaking the law.

Fire rated fittings are only required if the fittings are penetrating a fire barrier which it sounds like your ceiling is not.

There's lots more info in the diynot wiki at the top of this page.

Is your plumber registered with a competent persons scheme to sign electrical work off? If not he's breaking the law.

You can't break the law by not being a member of a scheme.

There are other ways to go about signing off the work.

As above, fire-rated not required

BUT

Ones that comply with Building Regs regarding the passage of moisture are essential. If you don't do this then the steam from the bathroom will be sucked into the roof space, where it will set about rotting your roof timbers.

Your plumber must comply with building regulations Part P, install everything to BS7671 (does the friend have RCD porotecting the lighting circuit? e.g.)

And this work may be notifiable by law.

Sponsored Links
Methinks I may rename myself Kable Plumbers. Would get more electrical work that way!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back