downlighters... fire worry!

mkb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Might sound daft question but putting 8 mains downlighters in sons bedroom ( or safer still gettin spark to do them ) but the loft above the bedroom is insulated. So wouldn't this insulation sitting on the downlighters be a fire risk ? Surely they get hot in the ceiling. Was even thinking of covering them with maybe porcelain cereal bowls to keep insulation off them. What do you think ? I'm not mad...honestly...... just a little concerned.

Sponsored Links
you're quite right, the lights shouldn't be covered by insulation. you can:

1) remove the insulation to a distance of at least 50mm around the light

2) use a product designed to fix between joist to carry the insulation, JCC make them.

3) make something up, DIY like, to keep the insulation away.

I find a large CERAMIC flower pot does the trick nicely, includes a nice ventilation hole at the top to boot.

Been using them for years and never had any complaints just comments, like, are you planning to grow things in my attic??? :rolleyes:

I use clay plant pots as well, the ones with holes in bottom.
Dont ask GaryMo to install them, he would only use 6mm

Sponsored Links

I do this for a living, you're merely a DIY'er......

Seeing as the protective device for a lighting circuit is 6A or 10A and 1.5mm twin and earth covered in insulation exceeding 100mm will still carry 13A why would I only use 6mm cable?

Sensible reply please?

I do this for a living, you're merely a DIY'er......

Seeing as the protective device for a lighting circuit is 6A or 10A and 1.5mm twin and earth covered in insulation exceeding 100mm will still carry 13A why would I only use 6mm cable?

Sensible reply please?

Why do you assume i am a DIYer?

Explain my attitude?

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=156464

I answered everything you asked and as it wasn't to your liking you resorted to insults.

Or maybe it's because you advocate installing cables with a current carrying capacity less than the design current of the circuit where diversity isn't to be considered?
On top of all that you have the cheek to indicate you work as an electrician!

Installing cables with a current carrying capacity less than the design current of the circuit where diversity isn't to be considered wasn't allowed in BS7671:2001 or more currently BS7671:2008.

I don't understand why you keep mentioning distance, that's relative to volt-drop, not the current carrying capacity of a cable in its installed conditions!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back