DOWNLIGHTERS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO WORK OUT HOW MANY MAINS DOWNLIGHTERS TO USE IN A GIVEN AREA AND WHAT WATTAGE TO USE -I AM LOOKING AT A ALUMINIUM GU10 BULB POSSIBLY .
ANY THOUGHTS ON LOW VOLTAGE DOWNLIGHTERS, I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THE TRANSFORMERS BURN OUT QUITE OFTEN-IS IT WORTH THE EXTRA COST AND PROBLEMS WITH VOLTAGE DROP.
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY LOW VOLTAGE LIGHTS ARE CHEAPER TO RUN ,A 60 WATT LIGHT NO MATTER WHAT VOLTAGE USES 60 WATTS OF POWER
THANKS

Sponsored Links
CITIZEN PETE said:
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO WORK OUT HOW MANY MAINS DOWNLIGHTERS TO USE IN A GIVEN AREA AND WHAT WATTAGE TO USE -I AM LOOKING AT A ALUMINIUM GU10 BULB POSSIBLY .
ANY THOUGHTS ON LOW VOLTAGE DOWNLIGHTERS, I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THE TRANSFORMERS BURN OUT QUITE OFTEN-IS IT WORTH THE EXTRA COST AND PROBLEMS WITH VOLTAGE DROP.
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY LOW VOLTAGE LIGHTS ARE CHEAPER TO RUN ,A 60 WATT LIGHT NO MATTER WHAT VOLTAGE USES 60 WATTS OF POWER
THANKS

Not Exactly what you want but you may like to try this
Its usually the lamps not the transformers that burn out, voltage drop is not an issue since the transformer should besitting in the roof space.

Do not quote me on this but i think your last point is wrong, yes the lamp is using 60 watts but as low voltage lights run on transformers, the transformer is not using 60 watts, so that is why it is cheaper to run

Sponsored Links
oh one other thing, if you do use downlights especially the low voltage ones, make sure there is nothing near them as they do get a bit hot to say the least

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back