Downlights in pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are currently having a kitchen extension with a vaulted ceiling. I would like recessed downlights if at all possible but believe this is difficult with celotex insulation. Our builder simply said they will cut out a square of insulation around each light but my own research tells me this is unacceptable practice. Can anyone advise please on how this can be done?

Sponsored Links
downlights are fine just dont fit hanging lights like these!!

1598352045538.png

Cut out the insulation and you wreck the thermal characteristic of the roof construction. Building control will give you a very hard time as a result.
Best way is to have the Pitched roof constructed as a “warm roof”. This will give you a void under the insulation where the down lights can sit. Consult your architect and builder about this option.

There are also some very shallow recessed lights available that are little more than plasterboard depth.

Or (better) use surface lights!

Recessed downlights & a vaulted ceiling aren't a good combination. Seems a shame to have a feature ceiling & not illuminate it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks oldbutnotdead, have you any advice on how best to do this? We feel rather out of our depth planning lighting but realise the importance of getting it right!

Taylortwocities, I wasn't disregarding your post, but it seemed as though the suggestion was that downlights weren't the best option and there might be another lighting style that would make a better feature of the ceiling?

Your best bet is get yourself onto Pinterest and look for photos of what other people have done. Also have a look at Phillips' online lighting brochures (and other companies if they pop up in any searches).
Some churches have got very decorative lighting on their (vaulted) ceilings...
Google is going to be your friend, I've just done a quick search on lighting vaulted ceiling kitchen and theres loads of pics and ideas out there.
Problem you've got is you've left it a bit late for planning cabling and control. If you have exposed beams and very high ceilings you can hide cabling up there, if its a flush ceiling then you need to decide now where your chandeliers or pendants or wallwashers or eyeballs in the sky are going so you can get cabling in.
Control- you'll want dimmable for certain and ideally individual control of each light source. LED stuff is fine but make sure any drivers are left accessible- they don't last forever.

20200827_094939.jpg
20200826_184936.jpg
thanks! This is what I would like ideally. Not sure if my description of vaulted ceiling is correct? The pitch is only 15 degrees. I've seen several pics like this so I assume it can be done somehow?

• Thanks
Reactions: jso
As TTC mentioned, you need to create a warm roof if you want to cut holes in it for downlights. There's both thermal and vapour barrier issues otherwise.

Thanks aptsys, so it's cutting holes in the plasterboard that is also an issue, not just cutting the insulation? I've seen insulation coverable LED lights? Sorry if I'm banging on I just had my heart set on this type of lighting but obviously need to do the right thing and don't trust our builders for advice at all :(

Our plans detail a 50mm counter batten to create a void under the insulation for lighting.

A lot of builders/electricians I've seen on youtube and also on friends extensions seem to cut out the insulation around each light. Presume building control didn't get to see it as it's not really correct.

There's some very slim down lights these days, but I prefer easily changeable bulbs if possible.

Thanks celeronman, what sort of lights would you suggest? The sloping part of the ceiling is directly over where the kitchen will be so I'm conscious it needs to be well lit. The apex of the ceiling then meets a flat wall and comes down so I'm not sure a large hanging fixture would be feasible? Sorry if my description is rubbish!

Thanks celeronman, what sort of lights would you suggest? The sloping part of the ceiling is directly over where the kitchen will be so I'm conscious it needs to be well lit. The apex of the ceiling then meets a flat wall and comes down so I'm not sure a large hanging fixture would be feasible? Sorry if my description is rubbish!

I haven't worked out how we're doing ours yet, sorry. I'm going to try and get recessed down lights in though as they look the best imho. With 2/3 hanging lights over an island.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back