downlights in pitched roof

Sponsored Links
the "approved documents" are not law.. they are guidance to the law and often branch into areas of non statutory regulations..

Part P of the building regs in it's simplest form says
P1 Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.
the area that this regulation is intended for is electrical installations that are in, fed from or attatched to dwellings, and in the gardens or lands of a dwelling where the suppliy is from inside teh dwelling..

Schedule 2 then lists the kind of work that is notifiable, but ALL work is covered by part P1 above..

Sponsored Links
If it's thinner it won't work as well, which probably means it won't work well enough.

Also - what about vapour control?

When you cut holes in the Celotex you'll also be perforating the membrane which stops moist air from getting into the unconditioned space above, condensing, and rotting the roof timbers.

B@ll@x

There should be a membrane above the joists and below the roof tiles. The cellotex depth is less than the joists, I think its 75mm usually but certainly no more than 100mm which is less than the joist depth. So you can pull the cellotex downwards while cutting it to avoid damage to the "felt" above. There should also be ventilation in the soffet.

Sam, in terms of enough depth for the fittings, dont forget you have the thickness of the plasterboard (12mm) and most builders I work for also overboard the cellotex with a 20mm thick insulation before plasterboard.

This means even with my voids in the thick cellotex, there is still a thin layer of insulation left after cutting the holes for the lights. Admittedly, the insulation is less effective.

EDIT: Sam, I have assumed that this is a vaulted ceiling, i.e you have a pitch roof and the ceiling below follows the angle of the roof and hence you have limited space, i.e the joist depth + plasterboard etc ?

All the issues regarding heat loss and vapour barriers aside, you might want to choose a lamp that doesn't put out a lot of heat, such as LED or CFL. Even fire rated fittings get HOT with halogen lamps, and it's asking for trouble in a confined space.

the "approved documents" are not law.. they are guidance to the law and often branch into areas of non statutory regulations..

Part P of the building regs in it's simplest form says
P1 Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.
the area that this regulation is intended for is electrical installations that are in, fed from or attatched to dwellings, and in the gardens or lands of a dwelling where the suppliy is from inside teh dwelling..

Schedule 2 then lists the kind of work that is notifiable, but ALL work is covered by part P1 above..

bit confusing as reading thishttp://www.theiet.org/publishing/wiring-regulations/part-p/
Q2: What are the requirements of Part P?

From 1 January 2005 it is a legal requirement for all work on fixed electrical installations in dwellings and associated buildings to comply with relevant standards. The relevant UK standard is BS 7671: 2001, 'Requirements for electrical installations' (The IEE Wiring Regulations 16th Edition). BS 7671 covers requirements for design, installation, inspection, testing, verification and certification.
but on searching the S.I's I have to admit I cant find anything to the effect that the above quote is statutory so therefore I am going to change my view and now agree with you coljack (and Bas)
for now :)

And there is a good case to say that the law requires you to use old colours to extend/modify old installations if you can.... ;)
well with that I can't argue
to use old with old, common sense if you ask me(if only we were allowed to use it these days) twas just a bit unsure on the actual law seems my assumptions may have been wro wro sorry can't say that word I would much rather say that you two are correct ;)

No no no. BAS really means if you use common sense, it must be listed as a departure from conventional practice on the EIC :)

No no no. BAS really means if you use common sense, it must be listed as a departure from conventional practice on the EIC :)
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif

dunny123,
yes as you say it's a vaulted ceiling which follows the line of the roof, with 5" joists.
thanks for all the replies, I will speak to BCO again regarding what exactly needs to be above the light in terms of insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back