Downlights or Kitchen Installation - Which should come first?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to install a brand new kitchen (base units, worktop and wall units)

I also need new downlights (plasterboard to be cut out, wiring etc)

However, I just wanted to know what should come first and why?

I understand that cutting the hole in the ceiling can create a lot of mess (dust)... but then I worry that you may need the units in place in order to position the lights in the correct place ie to avoid having a shadow...

What is the forums thoughts?

Sponsored Links
First. The wiring might mean doing a lot more plasterboard cutting than you originally plan if there aren't already lights/wires in the locations you want the new spots. Getting cable through ceiling joists is no easy task if there isn't already a run.

Work it out to the best of your ability (you could draw a 2D plan with cones based on the beam angle of the spots if you want to get really technical) but don't worry too much because you can always change the beam angle to wider/narrower bulbs or even replace the fixtures entirely in future.

Sponsored Links
Someone will be along soon to tell you not to use downlights.
There's nothing wrong with large downlights, in the 200-ish mm dia range.

It's using the little ones which should at least be cautioned against, and anyone proposing them asked to at least consider whether the need to have a large number arrayed across the ceiling might indicate that they aren't actually any good at the job of lighting up rooms.

Why spotlights anyway? Don't you want to light the whole room not spots of it?

Pretty sure I saw someone state that I should sort the lighting before installing the kitchen.. Is this because of the dust created by the plasterboard? Where did the post dissapear too?

@Seb101 the kitchen already has electricity in the ceiling from the existing florecent light / extractor fan.. so will this mean less hassle when wiring the lights?

@ban-all-sheds thanks for the advice.. 200mm up it is..

Pretty sure I saw someone state that I should sort the lighting before installing the kitchen.. Is this because of the dust created by the plasterboard?
Can't tell. Are you going to make a lot of dust doing the rest of the kitchen?

the kitchen already has electricity in the ceiling from the existing florecent light / extractor fan.. so will this mean less hassle when wiring the lights?
Can't tell. Is the supply where you want it and will any of the lights be on the other side of joists?

It doesn't matter which you do first. It's up to you.

Can't tell. Are you going to make a lot of dust doing the rest of the kitchen?

No, the old kitchen has been removed, just fixing the new carcasses for install.

Looking on Youtube, I see that there are a number of techniques to create the hole without any of the mess.

Can't tell. Is the supply where you want it and will any of the lights be on the other side of joists?

It doesn't matter which you do first. It's up to you.
I don't know know the answer to this question. Would a picture of the ceiling area help

any that's great, i will get the kitchen done completed because it will take a few days to get the electrician over

Depending on how much work you're prepared to do to the ceiling, you might also consider LED panels.

Now I'll get accused of being sexist here, but always best as a woman about lighting in the kitchen. They'll tell you where to put the lights so they don't work in the shadows - unless you've got lights under the units of course. You can mark the position of the cupboards on the ceiling, and then how far the worktops will extend. And with the downlighters, you need to consider how far the beam will spread, and that'll then give you a rough idea where to place them. You haven't mentioned the size of the kitchen, but as a general rule, fit the downlighters whilst you've got a clean area, and then the units.

Unless you fit all the kitchen, fit downlighters and wire them up, you wont know if they are in the correct place or create shadows.

So you might as well do them first.

Fit led under cupboard lights or even led light strip on top of cupboards as uplighters, much less chance of shadow issues.

I am about to install a brand new kitchen (base units, worktop and wall units)

I also need new downlights (plasterboard to be cut out, wiring etc)

However, I just wanted to know what should come first and why?

I understand that cutting the hole in the ceiling can create a lot of mess (dust)... but then I worry that you may need the units in place in order to position the lights in the correct place ie to avoid having a shadow...

What is the forums thoughts?

1) Get a kitchen plan drawn up.
2) Fit downlights to suit plan positions.
3) Install kitchen.

Doesn't really matter if the lights are done after the kitchen fitting though.

Now I'll get accused of being sexist here, but always best as a woman about lighting in the kitchen. They'll tell you where to put the lights so they don't work in the shadows - unless you've got lights under the units of course.
Not sexist.

But a bit of an idiot to assume that no man ever works in a kitchen and therefore can't tell where lights should be.

See, there always some smart arse that thinks he's clever. Bit of a see you next Tuesday really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back