installing kitchen downlights in ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys....how hard is it to install downlights in the kitchen ceiling...at the moment ive got three lights controlled by a 3 gang 1 way switch...i want to replace them with downlights....prefferably 3 banks of 4 lights......i have access to the kitchen roof space and it has no insulation yet as its a new built kitchen.

Sponsored Links
ok forget it guys...just read the wiki....10 reason that you shoudnt install downlights....make sense i suppose but have to persuade the missus now... :eek:

nice to know we're doing our bit for the environment :LOL:

By the way did you read my bit about fluorescent GU10 capsules?

Crafty said:
nice to know we're doing our bit for the environment :LOL:

superb...read mate....halogen (definitely no)....LED (possibly in the future ?..needs improving).......but i like what i read about the CFL type....well suited to the enviroment im gonna install them in....ok then just a few questions@

1. these are standard GU10 fittings, ie same as a GU10 Halogen bulb, but just slightly longer ?

2. Assuming ive already got downlights in my kitchen which are fitted with Halogen GU10 bulbs..is a simple matter of just replacing the bulbs with these CFL ?

3. These will run on 240v, as most say 230V?

cheers

Sponsored Links
1. Yes.

2. Have a look at the fittings. Take out the lamp that is there, and see if the lampholder is loose on a piece of wire, or fixed to a metal bridge. If its loose and theres plenty of space, you will be able to fit CFLs. If its fixed, you can fit CFLs but they will stick out of the ceiling by a centimetre or so.

3. Yes. If you measure the voltage in your house you will likely find it reads 235 volts. Supply voltage can vary between 215 and 251 volts (-5/+10%).

CFL lamps are actually the most tolerant of voltage fluctuations, and will remain at a constant brightness down to 200 volts (where standard filament lamps would dim a little)

Be warned CFLs can take up to 4 minutes to reach full brightness. I recommend (as its a new kitchen it should be easy to add?) some supplementary lighting for this warm up period. For example pelmet lighting.

You will also find you need fewer light fittings than you did with halogen lamps, because the CFLs spread their light more evenly and dont create intense beams. You say you want 3 banks of 4. I'd fit 3 banks of 3.

I have 3 x 9 watt fittings in my bathroom, and the perception is that its a lot brighter than before. The light is cleaner and better spread. I fitted one CFL and left the other 2 halogens, the difference was remarkable.

Hi Crafty - where can I find your bit on fluorescent GU10 capsules. I am very interested as I have a lot of down lighter I only use occasionally due to environmental considerations.

Sorry Crafty - I also wanted to know from where I can buy these GU10 Fluorescent thingies. I see Screwfix do an LED version at £10 a throw, but no fluorescents. Have you any ecperience with the LED ones? At only 1.5 watts they certainly are low power but how do they look on and how much light do they give out (Halogen/incandecent equivelent)?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GUCFL9.html

This is the site most of us use to ilustrate electrical accessories, they have a lot of clear pictures. They also do next day delivery and sell the fittings for the above lamps.

LED lamps are only good for decorative purposes, the light quality is very poor.

I was in B&Q earlier, and noticed all their halogen fittings they had on display have LED lamps in them! :D Nice to see them taking steps to reduce their consumption. Dont be fooled by their apparent brightness, the colour rendition makes them seem very dim in reality.

Thanks Crafty,
It's a piity about that 20mm protrusion, rather defeats the object of downlighters. All the manufacturers need to do is make a fitting which is 20mm deeper. Do you know of such a fitting, I can't find on on TLC's site.
There must be one out there somewhere.

7 Watt CFL's will fit in a fixed lead GU10 fitting without any protrusion.
I've just replaced 5 x 50watt lamps with 5 x 7watt CFL's on my landing. Fittings are JCC 90minute fire rated.

GaryMo said:
7 Watt CFL's will fit in a fixed lead GU10 fitting without any protrusion.
I've just replaced 5 x 50watt lamps with 5 x 7watt CFL's on my landing. Fittings are JCC 90minute fire rated.
Where did you get them from? TLC only do 9 and 11 watt.

Local wholesaler where we get all our materials from - William Wilson though think they're known as the Electric Centre now?
Really handy as they're exactly the same size as a standard GU10.

3-lights.jpg

led lights are not THAT bad

one on its own is ok to see by, two are better, or as we have a cfl and 2 led lights all gu10 size

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back