Downlights

Do you really need fire hoods?

Are you in a standard domestic house, or is the ceiling part a fire rated compartment?

Sponsored Links
Why do you need fire hoods? Is the ceiling fire-rated (eg a garage ceiling, or one between separate flats???)

Sponsored Links
They are in bedrooms with loft space above. I thought building regs required them to be fire rated or with hoods? I could be wrong though.

If it is just a normal ceiling between a bedroom and the loft, fire hoods are not required.

Many electricians fit them as standard because they have been told by the manufacturers who make money from selling them that they should, without actually reading any of the litrature which documents when they are and are not required.

It is an added expense which is simply not required in your case.

More in our wiki
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:firehood

It seems the IET have disabled the link to the article in wiring matters at the end of the wiki page. (Issue 14 from spring 2005)

Does any one have a copy?

That really helps. I might just use teracotta pots to keep insulation away or the hoods pending on cost. My last sparki installed them and I could smell something strange, when I went in the loft they were burning the plastic of the insulation away. Hence I soon got another sparki to complete the job.
Im thinkin of having four downlights and a central light in bedroom 1&2, and just downlights in bedroom 3 (box rm) and downlights in landing area. Should look ok I think!?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back