Downpipe Dimensions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to replace my square downpipes (brown PVC) as they have faded badly over time. They are of a square profile measuring 60mmx60mm. I will be leaving the guttering untouched.

When I check the availability/cost of new pipes, I can only find reference to 65mm square profiles. Does this mean that the regulations have changed since my house was built (1999)? Or does this figure relate to the guttering 'female' dimensions into which the 60mm pipes will fit. Am confused. :confused:

Doug

Sponsored Links
I think rainwater goods (particularly squareline) are one of the range of uPVC products that aren't compatible between all manufacturers... (All 110mm is, as is solvent weld waste, however push fit waste and guttering can vary between manufacturers.)

The 65mm downpipe should be fine, it'll be a bit of a loose fit over the outlet in the gutter, but provided that is fixed adequately and the downpipe is secured with new clips it shouldnt be noticeable or problematic.

Sunlight attacks plastics, which causes the colour to fade and ultimately the product becomes brittle over time. I believe it was (is) recommended that the plastics be painted to protect from the UV in sunlight that causes the damage. (Still need to do all mine!)

2 options - paint them with brown gloss , NO undercoat - renew with black round ones , square brown is so `80s. ;)

Sponsored Links
Just pulled off a section and found my downpipes are OSMA type. 60mm square profiles are still available but appear v expensive at nearly £20 per 2.75m length.

May go down the 65mm route as suggested. Thanks both for your comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back