Downsides to cutting roof slates to make decorative patterns?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm struggling to find any info on the subject of making cuts to slates to for patterns, especially from UK sources so was wondering if anyone on here could shed some light?

I'm sure everyones seen photos or actual roofs with these patterns, I like the look of them but the thought of having a few rows of cut down slates seems like possibly asking for trouble. I realise most if not all these types of slates are only cut on the exposed margin & also retain their centre portion all the way down to the tail to cover the joint in the head lap section bellow it but I wondered if for example trimming the bottom corners off like in the photo attached increases the potential for problems?

Cheers.

Slate-Roof-Textures-for-Designers.jpg

Sponsored Links
Your biggest problem will be finding roofers able to lay slates level like that! Trimming the corners wont be an issue.

Finding a reliable & half decent roofer full stop has been my problem for the last several months, to the point where I have gave up trying as starting to run out of summer time now & it's holding up other renovation work I need to be getting on with so I'm biting the bullet & doing it my self unfortunately.

Not particularly looking forward to the extra work which I could do without but was going to be replacing all the rafters etc my self anyway & it's a straightforward small pitched roof with no hips/valleys/chimneys etc so fingers crossed I don't make a complete pigs ear out of it. Plus my small budget has been completely smashed due to rocketing timber/material prices so I might even claw some pennies back hopefully.

It's a piece of pee.

Not rocket science at all.
Most if not all of the patterned (pictures) in slate roofs for example Brittany france.
Hide something you can not see. Usual zinc soakers . These do the weathering .
The picture you shared is simple and requires nothing out of sight . Stay within gauge for the slate you are using and stick to the side lap rule .

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ah I was wondering how they managed to do the complicated patterns & stay water tight, not that I was thinking of attempting anything like that my self!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back