Downstaire lights trip since house earth spike installed

Well that depends if he wants the orginal guy back?

The complaints procedure of most of the schemes is to give the contractor the opportunity to remedy the situation.

If the OP does not want the contractor back, then by all means document the issues and call trading standards etc but I doubt it would go very far.

Sponsored Links
viewer said:
If you're getting an electrician out to fix the lights, I'd suggest not dropping them but letting the electrician do his/her tests first. Any alterations now could create more confusion.

Redoubled in No Trumps! :!: :!: :!:

Intermittent faults are a pig. If you want somebody else to fix one, DON'T MOVE ANYTHING.

wILL DO AS STATED ABOVE, I WONT TOUCH ANYTHING.
I would rather pay for someone to fit 2 lights & sort the problem out causing the permanet tripping then risk my families life.

I am far from knocking anyone that has donea 1 month electricians course.
I myself did a 2 yr city n guilds plumbing course & realsied at the end of it that in a classroom environment & only covering vented systems that this in know way gives you the knowledge of dealign with other systems or any real live scenarios & situations that are out there to be able to go out & earn a living.
Personally i think with any college course you need to shadow someone for a period of time to come to gain experience & confidence.
Hence the reason i could no afford to quit my job with a mortgage & do the odd plumbing job.
Just got me thinking - There are no obvious signs of earth bonding to any rads, metal sink or incoming water supply!!!
Will check the certificate from electrician tonight to see if any mention of bonding & who responsible plumber or sparky.

Intermittent faults are a pig.
Despite what phatheadboy would like me to discover from reading the thread properly, this is not an intermittent fault.

... the downstairs lights keep tripping ... It is not possibly to flick the trip switch on without it going straight off again ...
... the trip switch will not stay on ...
... the 'downstairs lights' being permanently tripped ...

Sponsored Links
I dug out the EIC certificate, guess what rcd no9 - downstairs lights. He had written in the notes that he suspects this RCD may be faulty. I rang him again stating that i am not happy he hasn't returned my calls & that i have the paperwork with his comments stating the above when he signed the paperwork off.
He has text me back to say he has ordered a new RCD (came through the post last night) & will be back this wk to fit it.
I don't have alot of confidence, I do have some electrical knowledge & the 'glass half empty' part of me says that it is a problem with that part of the wiring &not likely a faulty RCD.
When he installs it when can i get him to show me on his test meter that all is ok with the wiring & that it was infact a faulty RCD? Assuming the new one doesnt trip!
Thanks in advance.

not confident in interpreting them, any advice would be welcome as dont want to be fobbed off, i will look at the readings that he finds & note wehre he tests for them

I dug out the EIC certificate, guess what rcd no9 - downstairs lights. He had written in the notes that he suspects this RCD may be faulty. I rang him again stating that i am not happy he hasn't returned my calls & that i have the paperwork with his comments stating the above when he signed the paperwork off.
He has text me back to say he has ordered a new RCD (came through the post last night) & will be back this wk to fit it.
I don't have alot of confidence, I do have some electrical knowledge & the 'glass half empty' part of me says that it is a problem with that part of the wiring &not likely a faulty RCD.
When he installs it when can i get him to show me on his test meter that all is ok with the wiring & that it was infact a faulty RCD? Assuming the new one doesnt trip!
Thanks in advance.

Just to let you know the outcome, he turned up with the new rcd. The wife had let him & his colleague! in before i got home so dont know what he did initially. I asked what the problem was having already mentioned that i thought it must be a short & not a faulty rcd.
He told me he found it shorted on a light switch . Having blown 4 more bulbs downstairs in the process.

Now here is a situation which may or maynot be connected.

We bought the house fully remodernised. The electrician installed the expelair shower light. We have had a damp patch on a party wall but near a window which has got worse progressively worse (BLACK & DAMP NOW)since we moved in.
I suggested to the electrician that i had looked into the attic but where the shower extractor light is fitted there is no access so i could not see if he had fitted any ducting for the damp air to be carried through nor could i see a vent in the external wall or soffits for the damp air to escape!
My suggestion was that the damp air is being extracted straight into the wall cavity / ceiling void hence no means of escape hence the damp patch!!!.
He then went on to say he hired someone in to do the plastering & thought he had fitted the ducting & outside vent!
I explained that the previous owner that paid the electrician to do said work explained to me that any problems with the electrics or the vent for the extractor to speak to the electrician.
Having explained this to the electrician he said he would speak to the previous owner who paid him & get back to me regarding who is responsible.
I explained i would contact building standards or whoever could help me.
I am very concerned that damp air is being driven into a small ceiling void & wall cavity with ceiling lights & wall sockets which i believe is a fire hazard.

He told me he found it shorted on a light switch . Having blown 4 more bulbs downstairs in the process.
I can't think of any way that a permanent or intermittent short circuit at a switch could blow bulbs.

He then went on to say he hired someone in to do the plastering & thought he had fitted the ducting & outside vent!
That's a PPP (Pretty P*** Poor) excuse, IMO.

I am very concerned that damp air is being driven into a small ceiling void & wall cavity with ceiling lights & wall sockets which i believe is a fire hazard.
Things are going from bad to worse...

In view of the apparently worsening situation, I would get the house independently EICR'd.

Any C1's, have them isolated, then go though the correct channels to get the faults rectified.

If you don't want the original fella back then I think you can follow a legal procedure to avoid having to have him return then you can make a complaint to the body.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back