Downstairs Bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All

I'm currently having discussions with my better half about a 4th bedroom and am asking for thoughts of the collective on here :confused:

I'm of the opinion to convert the upstairs loft (we can get about 4m x 7m usable), however, we have a builtin garage which is about 5m x 2.75m

What would you guys do? Is it becoming acceptable to have a downstairs bedroom? I think it's weird

Sponsored Links
A downstairs bedroom is very useful if you are temporarily unable to manage the stairs, or if you have an older relative who comes to visit or stay.

You do need to have at least a shower & WC on the ground floor though for it to be useful. I think Building Regs require a WC on the same floor as a bedroom.

Thanks Owain, that's one thing we are going to have in the new utility room (currently the kitchen), that is useful information to know

Many homes have ground floor bedrooms, nothing new, no requirement for a loo on same floor, might be different in Scotland.

Sponsored Links
Aye as foxy said. Though fitting an ensuite will make it more desirable when selling. Depends also if you'll miss the garage. But then a lofty is £25k odd and a garage conversion with an ensuite is maybe £8-12k.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back