Downstairs Ceiling/Upstairs Floor Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

4 bed detached. Downstairs kitchen ceiling is coming away from the coving.

If I get someone to walk in this area in the bedroom above, I can see the ceiling moving slightly up and down (enough to have caused this cracking of the interface between ceiling and coving).

I am therefore thinking joists. This is along the long width of the house and not gable end. Is there a wall plate that would be fitted to the inside of the outside block wall, off which the joists hang? Just seems very close to the wall where it is happening. 20180302_100418.jpg 20180302_100426.jpg

Also seem to have some nail heads starting to show on ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Modern house (60s onwards) or older? Do you know which way the joists run (side to side or front to back)? Have you had wndows replaced recently? Any sign of cracking on the outside?

House built circa 1999/2000

Not sure which way the joists run yet but im guessing left to right in the pics as there are two weight bearing walls in between. Going to lift a floorboard (tongue and groove chipboard) which all seem perfectly intact at the mo.

No cracking outside. No work done recently.

Good luck with lifting T & G chipboard- and no need to, the joists will run at 90 degrees to the long edge of the board. Any recent window work (last 5 years or so)?

Sponsored Links
No window work no.

When I say lift, i mean cut out and replace.... just to see whats happening.

Do you have any thoughts?

Might have to do that- does sounds as if there's more flex than desirable in that floor- presumably you'll be lifting a board near the (presumed) wall plate so you can see if it is moving or not? That's about all you can do for now....

Heating has gone up and plaster has shrunk

Floors don't then to move upwards, and walls don't tend to move downwards without the floor it's hold up. All floors move. You just can't normally see it.

could be just the joists are built into the wall and they are not tight, allowing them to move up when there's no load. They should all be solidly built in but may have shrunk across the grain int he current dry conditions. Humidity in our house in summer is around 70%, at the moment it's high 30s and the stairs are more creaky than usual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back