DPC / DPM - Internal Plaster bridging question

Joined
3 Sep 2024
Messages
32
Reaction score
1
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'm getting ready to lay some self levelling compound in the downstairs kitchen and hall area of my 1950s house in preparation to tile it. Ive lifted the old marley tiles and removed the skirting, the old plaster and scratch coat (sand and cement?) used to extend all the way to the floor - possibly breaching the DPC. and so I've cut this back (I'm not entirely sure this was necessary but I got a damp-ish smell when removing the skirting, even after our long hot summer.

Q1 How should I prepare the junction between the concrete floor and the walls? -
Q2 what do I put in the gap between the floor and the plaster?

ResizedImage_2026-10-01_12-24-09_9785.png


thanks
Will
 
As far as I know you should leave a 2 inch gap between the floor and plaster and fixings for the skirtings should be above the gap.
There is nothing you need to do at the floor/wall junction.
 
The plaster should stop short of the DPC/floor surface to stop any water absorption from either spills or condensation from the cold floor. No set distance other than "enough".

Seal any gaps around the floor perimeter with cement slurry, mastic or expanding foam. Foam is good for filling the plaster gap between the floor and the bottom of the plaster to give a solid backing for when you fix the skirting
 
Hi - I'm getting ready to lay some self levelling compound in the downstairs kitchen and hall area of my 1950s house in preparation to tile it. Ive lifted the old marley tiles and removed the skirting, the old plaster and scratch coat (sand and cement?) used to extend all the way to the floor - possibly breaching the DPC. and so I've cut this back (I'm not entirely sure this was necessary but I got a damp-ish smell when removing the skirting, even after our long hot summer.

Q1 How should I prepare the junction between the concrete floor and the walls? -
Q2 what do I put in the gap between the floor and the plaster?

View attachment 423362

thanks
Will
Internal floors being higher than the DPC - little consequence. Lower - NO.
 
Thank you all,

@jj4091 - thank you,

@^woody^ - by "cement slurry" do you mean a waterproof slurry - Ive seen that mentioned on similar topics related to the floor/wall junction. What sort of foam are you talking about / where to buy?

@noseall - Im not sure which question your answer is referring to - the image I posted isnt super but you can make out the DPC currently its level with the top of the concrete slab. Once Ive poured some SLC, & tile adhesive & tiled the finished floor will be perhaps 25mm higher than the DPC


thanks for reading and commenting,
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top