dpc installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a visit from BCO to inspect DPC. The DPC has now lost itts adhesion to blocks that it was bedded on, how can I re-affix the DPC before commencing the next course of blockwork

Sponsored Links
Hi hotrod. I bedded the DPC ready for inspection, but I hadn't commenced next course before BCO's visit. He noticed that the DPC was not adhered to the mortar and had lifted in several places. He seemed to think that this was a potential problem (sliding off). He didn't make any suggestions, apart from start the next course asap. I'm not sure whether this is a problem or not.

was the dpc on a roll but you say stickey? what are you building if it is a cavite wall then you dont stick anything outer wall goes up ontop of dpc every 6 courses of bricks the wall ties go then on the inside courses of blocks they are tied together so carnt slip someone correct me if i am wrong along time since i worked 4 a builder

Sponsored Links
LOL ... your BCO is an idiot :eek:

Does he think that a few tonne of building is going to slide off into the garden, or float off into the sky?

In fact your building will expand/contract naturally every season over its lifetime, and this will be done on the top of the DPC. The DPC will not be adhered, it is held by friction

Press the DPC down, lay the bed joint, lay the brick :rolleyes:

Thanks Woody. BCO's comments were rather confusing. I agree with your comments, I just wanted another opinion

It's often best to swallow pride and placate your BCO.

You can ready-made placating compound quite cheaply - here's one brand:

0190211.JPG

What a load of old twaddle! Tell the bco to do one as he does not know what he is talking about.

We tend not to bed the dpc down until we can actually lay on it the same day, for exactly this reason. Even through external doorways we leave the dpc rolled up and no mortar bed.

There is an element of trust though betwixt inspectors and decent builders insofar as they know that the dpc will be bedded correctly with laps. some ask for us to remove the mortar for a peek at the laps.

But i never bed the inner leaf dpc until we are ready to lay the blocks as it ends up across the site. If they ask, then we lay it dry and say inspect that boyo.

Hi, Extensionman ... Are the BC from Wealden :?: They used to be good ;) Tell him Softus said Rising Damp dosen`t exist and refer him to the archives of this forum ;) Good Luck

Surely that's not going to placate him?

No, your right. Some bco's like to flex their muscles and could make it difficult for the less experienced.

Here's a thought - how would you curry favour with an Indian BCO?

Pop a dim' on a piece of paper and tell him it's a Deli-cate issue, and could he confirm that you have tikkin all precautions to ensure the measurements are Bhang-ra-on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back