Drain for combi system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm plumbing in a new combi condensing boiler.

Should the system be plumbed to drain from the flow pipe? This is how it was set up on the old boiler, but it seemed to me to make more sense if it connected to the return pipe?

Also, is it okay to use a gate valve for the drain, or is there a better type?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
It does'nt make any difference, flow or return for drain.

A drain valve sounds like a better choice.

Are you really sure you are up to the task you have started.!!!!!!!!!!!

Um, eek. :eek: If you're thinking of using a gate valve as a boiler drain, I'm concerned thet there might be a lot of areas where you could use advice. Get a corgi installer on your side before you start.

How about using the gate valve on the gas supply? Then the gas flow can be regulated. *in a happy mood as just got boiler swap done, so taking a long weekend now*

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies.

What does a drain valve look like then? I can't find any such thing.

My advice is that you should NOT use a traditional drain cock! they stick or leak and have limited flow rate.

Instead use a ball isolation valve and add a hose pipe or better plumb it directly to the drain.

Tony

You can tell by agile`s reply he doesn`t install. To use a ballofix is rough and would look absolutely terrible and they also jam up nearly as bad as using a gate valve, can just see the inquisitive kid with a screw driver turning that on... Use the more expensive better quality drain cock with a gland nut on it. Remove innards if soldering near it so washer doesn`t get damaged then don`t over tighten when re-assembling.

But if you don`t even know what a drain cock is should you even be attempting the rest of the job

Thanks.

I'm going to use the valve from the old boiler drain as it's pretty sturdy. The old system was plumbed directly into the drain, so didn't use a drain cock. So if it worked before, it'll have to work now.

Are your neighbours aware of the fact that you are fitting your own boiler :!: :eek:

You don't inspire confidence and you should seek professional advice :rolleyes:

the corgi guy came to do the gas pipes today and he said the installation was good, thanks for the help.

is he going to register it for you??

if not then I hope your not ever planning to sell your house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back