Drain holes in outside lights and sockets.

Joined
27 Jan 2008
Messages
29,563
Reaction score
3,641
Location
Llanfair Caereinion, Nr Welshpool
Country
United Kingdom
I have drilled a 1/16" hole in bottom of sockets and lights for years, but I note that efixx video has talked about drilling holes including showing slugs inside sockets. The hole seems a lot larger, and really the worry is the air expanding and contracting can suck in water, so the water does not really pass through the hole, it is air so it can't suck in water.
 
Id say he's great fun at parties
Really?

I'd say Eric has raised a valid point but IMO has got the facts wrong.

I add a drain hole - through bitter experience I've found less faults that way!

The compromise is to drill a hole big enough for wetness to drip from while avoiding ingress of flora, fauna and animal life.ever it's not water getting sucked in; it'd humidity or moist air.
However the bigger issue with moisture within outdoor enclosures IMO is condensation.

For year my grandmother used to propagate seeds by putting seeds, soil and sand in a 5 gallon glass carboy, give it a good shake so fairly level at an inch or so deep then add a waterproof stopper. Depending on what the seeds were they would either be stood in the garden, shed or scullery. or even beside the range in the living room.

All of the cropping seeds became Granddads domain, he would unseal them and upturned shake them out, if required he'd add water and flush them out and plant in the vegetable plot which I always remember being mentioned as 1/10 acre.

I recall as a small boy having the task of emptying a completely choked carboy with runner beans, complete with beans which were to be used for next years crop.

Granny was much more delicate in the way she retrieved the seedlings with what I'd describe as a teaspoon bend at right angles with a 2 ft handle, somewhat like a ladle.

Sorry must be bored or something for this much memory lane.
 
The compromise is to drill a hole big enough for wetness to drip from
I found it did not need to be that big, the void would heat and cool, and would either suck in air, or blow out air and water, so the smallest drill I have been enough.

I do remember cress, I think it was grown on blotting paper.

This year, I decided to make some steps, from the drive to new patio, and I used 4 sleepers to build the wall. Well it did not look good, so SHMBO said needs a planter, and plants to hide the wood wall, but I have never really played with plant, well CAT type plant yes, but not the stuff which grows.

So I built the planter, 1789228277442.png (08-07-26)just before the drought started, so it was a watering can every day, 1789228409471.png (22-08-26) they did survive, but I wish my wife has not spent so much on plants, but as to how much water will be needed in the future?
 
just before the drought started, so it was a watering can every day

Did you know that after decades of hosepipe bans there is no confirmed public record of a UK householder being successfully prosecuted for a domestic hosepipe ban breach?
 
I have not seen anything come through the door, to say we are under a hose pipe ban. It seems all bans in Wales have been lifted.

But it is like the temporary speed limits, they never seem to tell you when the speed limit has ended, it relies on one seeing the limit signs in one's mirror.

I noted today we have green fields again. It seems hose pipe ban lifted 4th September.

But drilling drain holes they can be surprisingly small.
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top