Outside light from a internal double ring main socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install a outside security light and the only power is inside the house at a double socket.

Can i drill through the wall and connect the outside light to the rear of the double socket inside the house. if so what cable do i need to do this.

Someone tole me i need a FCU ?? no idea what this is.

Any advice will be welcome

Sponsored Links
Fused Connection Unit, also known as a switched or fused spur. If you don't know what this is I suggest you get a sparky in !

Got a sparky on stand by in case its beyond my capabilities but still would like to know how to complete the task

1. First check earthing and bonding is adequate and continuous.

2. Then the ring final circuit continuity of r1, r2 and rn to ensure you have a ring, at the CU, and then the socket outlets.

3. Then test insulation resistance P-N, P-E, N-E.

4. Then measure R1+ R2, checking polarity, and live test of Zs or add R1 + R2 to Ze.

5. Compare 1,2,3,4 to requirements of BS7671 to ensure safe to proceed.

6. Assuming steps above OK, and socket outlet in question is on the ring final cct, take a spur to an 3A FCU to the supply side, and then from the load side to the light.

IF you know what you are doing up to this point then you will also know how to test the work, and complete certificate (MWC)

Sponsored Links
Point taken, then over to the sparky by the sounds of it

thanks for the info

I probably sounded a bit pompous there, but it is important that all work is tested and certified both for safety of you and yours, and also if you come to sell your house that you have the correct certification etc.

6. Assuming steps above OK, and socket outlet in question is on the ring final cct, take a spur to an 3A FCU to the supply side, and then from the load side to the light.

I would suggest that this simple job only requires step 6 (detected a bit of sarcastic overstatement there :LOL: ).

I hardly think a house sale is going to be dependant on obtaining a cert for a single outside light connected via a fused spur.

I would suggest that this simple job only requires step 6 (detected a bit of sarcastic overstatement there :LOL: ).

I hardly think a house sale is going to be dependant on obtaining a cert for a single outside light connected via a fused spur.

You pays yer money (or yer don't), you takes yer choice !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back