Drainage plan for new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I'm after a bit of advice with regards to our proposed new extension. We have had planing permission and building regs sign off for a single story extension. I've also had approval from southwest water with regards to removing the manhole that is 1.6m deep and approx 1m wide and moving it out of the footprint. Southwest water have said i can remove manhole and make redundant. I'm about to start getting quotes for the ground works but would like to know what the job involves. I understand the existing channels need to be replaced with round pipe. However what i am unsure about is will the concrete rings that make up existing manhole need to be removed or can these can be left in place?
I've contacted southwest water but had no reply at the moment
Many thanks
Dave

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210128-100517_Office.jpg
    Screenshot_20210128-100517_Office.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 20190919_125232.jpg
    20190919_125232.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 133
Sponsored Links
Going to need to get 2 decent stubs of pipework to connect onto, to bridge the gap currently formed by the manhole. I cant see you breaking the benching out without fracturing the pipe, so would expect you'll need to remove the manhole and a good chunk of the concrete base, in order to be able to get to cut into the existing drain.

Thanks for that Hugh. I've had 2 different people around today to price. 1st one said he would do it all without removing the concrete ring as it would take to long and as it would be a live drain would not be easy and would be cheaper.The 2nd person said to do it properly he would remove it all and replace pipe as you have said then build a new manhole outside the footprint. Will cost more but its done properly (y)

Sponsored Links
I always insist these be removed and new pipework installed, though I have heard some BCO's allow it to be left in place and a plate put over the top, but to be fair this was a builder telling me this when he didn't want to break out a similar manhole I was insisting had to be removed!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back