drainage problems flooded driveway - pictures included

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,

First time on here but i have been googling like a mad man the last few days to try and figure out a solution.

Basically from the first picture is where the water is coming from when ( the odd occasion ) the rain gets so bad it floods. It finds its way down my lane and washes all the lane stone to the bottom. Its more an inconvenience to be honest as it has only happened twice this year and never before.

DSC_0049.JPG

Personally i thought a cattle grid with a 10" pipe would be enough , but the wife does not want a cattle grid ( women ! )

My next thought was channel / french drains across the lane maybe about three (top, middle, bottom) With the hope that the first drain would take the worst of the water and the next two clear it up and I would hope it would leave a lot of the stone in place. The father in law( retired building) believes this will not work. My job couldnt be further from building but I would believe my thought process is sensible enough and i can put my hand to most things given enough time.So I am banging my head quite a bit at the minute.

DSC_0048.JPG
DSC_0050.JPG

This is what I was left with when it flooded. Not so worried about the water more the fact I have shovled a few tonne of lane back up !

Anyway thanks for any help guys
DSC_0017.JPG

Sponsored Links
Is this private property or public thoroughfare?
Advice can only be offered on work under your control. Otherwise contact the owner of the "lane".

From the second picture we own basically from the crest of the hill down.

The rest is the father in laws. My thinking is having a kerb at the crest or the lane then angle a cattle grid in like with the angle of the lane.

But all solutions advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
So the flooding is washing the stones down the hill?
Are these stones from the deteriorating surface of your drive, or stones from your F-i-L bit?

I would suggest that the surface of your drive is deteriorating and needs replacing.
But that on its own is not sufficient. Because the flow of water, and general wear and tear, will cause the same thing to happen again.
You need to consider how the local council would approach it.

Create a crown in the drive center to divert water to the edges, create regular drains to reduce the flow of water, these drains would divert water into drainage pipes, and create proper gutters along the edge of the drive, to stop the soil from the edge being washed away down the drive.

You'll need a substantial soak away at the bottom of the hill. Unless your last picture is the bottom of the hill and there is a water course there. In which case you'll still probably need a silt trap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back