Drainage regs for washing machine in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Until I save up and put in a new kitchen, my washing machine is in the garage.

I can run hot and cold water to it but the drain is a problem.
There is a drain outside but it would mean boring a hole through the wall (no problem) and running a pipe right across my front door step (problem).

I know it's a bodge and you can all laugh at me, but it is illegal for me to do the old machine-drains-in-to-a-tank-and-tank-is-emptied-by-a-submersible-pump-trick?
Then I could just have a narrow clear tube along my door step for a while.

It's temporary and it's a bodge - but is it illegal?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Saniflo works on a not dissimilar principle, as do the internal tanking systems for basement waterproofing, so why not?

If it's a washing machine then it's classified as greywater so if it's not too hot you can chuck it straight on the garden.

If it's a washing machine then it's classified as greywater so if it's not too hot you can chuck it straight on the garden.
...and you never know, some of them old coins left in pockets might spout a money tree... :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Saniflo works on a not dissimilar principle ...
I'd go further than that, a Saniflo (or at least the non macerator ones like Sanivite) are just a submersible pump in a box - and open vented to the room as well. I had to put a pump in the garage of the flat as there's no drain there (at least, not below ceiling height) - if it had been me I'd just have put a submersible pump in something like a plastic header/F&E tank with a loose fitting lid, but as it's rented I've put a Sanivite in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back